Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 2 weeks later...

If someone was showing fear or anxiety, mam would say they had nerves like chewed string.

If one of us kids was in a Mood about some thing that Mam thought was trivial. She would come right up close to our face and say Ahh Didums. I have no idea what it means. But it would send us scuttling off up stairs for a Sulk in our bedroom! Especially Me!!! :angry2::P

If you mentioned a name to mam, and she didn't know who you were talking about, she'd say, who's he when he's at 'om?

• Upvote 1

Another one of mam's sayings, about cooking - 'When it's brown it's done, when it's black it's boggered'.

• Upvote 1

My mam also used the word Rammel, for anything junky. We'd also put the sneck down at night on the front door lock. My husband who came from the Carlton rd area, his mum never heard of sneck before. My parents came from Basford, maybe it was a word used there.

We used to refer to it as the "snip". It was only a few months ago when trying to find how to disable it (a friend's mum with dementia was left in an unsecured house by the carer when they left) that I discovered it actually is properly called a 'snib'.

If you weren't very happy about something, and said 'it's not fair!' Mam would say, and it's not Wakes, either.

heard a new one on me from older biker mate at mfn last week when it was a bit cloudy he looked up at the sky and dont worry theres enough blue up there to make a shirt with aparently meand its not going to rain. another one of his sayings when thers a light shower its only lambing rain

If you weren't very happy about something, and said 'it's not fair!' Mam would say, and it's not Wakes, either.

Now that's different to what my dad used to say;

'It's not fair!'

'Well, it's not raining.'

And now I'm able to annoy my own son in similar fashion.

• Upvote 1

Most reference books quote “Kilroy” as being a shipyard inspector in the U.SA. and after he’d inspected material he used to write “Kilroy Was Here”. The phrase came over to the U.K. during the Second World War when the U.S.A forces came here.