Things our parents used to say

Yes that's what I heard DaveN, though slight difference in so much as Kilroy wrote his phrase in the various parts of boats "Liberty Ships"? that were sent here to prove he had "done his job" all this was a mystery to the uk seamen who took such over

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Re #1440 and 1444, Katy and Merthyr, Mum had another reply to "It's not fair!", and in those non pc days it was her reply that It's a black mans head!" which, when you were being mardy, REALLY annoyed you!!

If you're out after 10.30 you're up to no good,,,,.......... Get real mother !!!!!!!!!

Jerry after the shape of the German helmet of the latter stages of WWI

download%2520%25283%2529.jpg?gl=GB

As opposed to what my uncle referred to as "guzintas" - as in two guzinta six three times!

We named our dog after that uncle!

Thank you. George says "woof"!

• 2 weeks later...

A few sayings I remember from the 50s

'This room looks like Sammy Pownall's' (An untidy room - The Pownall family ran a chain of rag and bone yards in Nottingham, and were often strewn with rags, etc.)

' If you don't go to sleep, the ten o'clock horses will get you'. (Up until the end of the first world war, a lot of households deposited their sewerage into tanks outside the house. They were emptied late at night, about ten o'clock, into horse drawn carts. The sound of horses outside the house late at night was used to frighten the children into going to sleep early.)

Regards

Keith

• Upvote 1

Seeing two recent threads reminded me of one of me mam's sayings. He was like a dog at a fair, about someone flitting around aimlessly.