Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

You are lucky, Bubblewrap - treasure it while you can.

The words of that old song, 'You'll Never Miss Your Mother Until She's Gone' are very true.

Back on a lighter note, 'Get them kennels Mucked Out' was the usual direction yelled at me on a Saturday morning at ROT.

• Upvote 1

#1552, You are so right Trevor

I have one precious tape of Christmas Dinner here in W-ton; when my parents and young twin sisters and bro came over from Notts; It was in late 1970s. Dinner was at our home and we were also joined by my sister and family, who lived in W-ton as well. We kept a "Beer Off" which was on the premises, so the Wine and Lager was flowing freely. We were all singing at the top of our voices and the two voices that surpassed all others, were my dear Dads and mine. Both of us tone deaf. Terrible sound!! It was before we possessed a video camera, so that tape of Dad's voice means so much. It is still as clear as the day it was made. It is his birthday tomorrow. Very sad to say he passed away two weeks after his 57th birthday.

• Upvote 4

Off to see Mother a week next Thursday see lives near a place called Tywyn & it takes about three hours (by car wife driving) to get there.

My mum is none to active these days as age is beginning to take it's toll.

So it will be a ride out and a coffee or a lunch somewhere.(none pub as mum don't go with pubs)

Still it will be nice to see her & my sister,brother in law & niece too.

A change of scenery for a few days will do us both good. :)

• Upvote 3

Carni , I have a similar tale . Once when we were visited by my mum and dad I just left a cassette on record and so have their voices and also our kids when they were only nippers . One of those jobs I have meant to do is making a back-up into digital !

Nothing so boisterous as singing though , just normal conversation but good to listen to .

Later we did manage to take a few videos of them when we visited and there is one of my mums 80th birthday party where she looks very lively and had organised a party with my sisters help......but within a week she had passed away !

Todays generation are lucky that they have all this technology to record events relatively cheaply . Our boys , now in their 30s / 40s used to ask why we didn't have many photos of them when they were babies . They don't quite understand that we didn't have spare money to buy films and if we did , actually paying for the films to be developed was another struggle !

• Upvote 1

I have some videos from after Dad passed away with Mam and family on. My son had the Recorder. A big; heavy thing it was! So I can see Mam when ever I want and I can listen to them both on tape. I am thankful for that.

I imagine you were all shocked when your Mam passed away so soon after seeming so well at her 80th Party.

We also couldn't afford a camera when our children were small. We have one baby photo of my daughter and four of my son, they were taken on friends cameras. Later on we managed to afford one of those Polaroid cameras, so we have photo's from them being 2 and 4yrs old. Oh the good old days. Skint but Happy.

• Upvote 2

Just chatting about some one with Hubbs (No it wasn't You) and just out of the blue, I remarked "Well He/She can please his fat ant (Aunt)"

I haven't heard that one for "Donkeys Years". There's another one. Why Donkeys Years. Whats wrong with ordinary years? It just makes you wonder what's locked away in the back of the mind.

Does any one know the origen of both sayings? Both often used by my Mam!

Thank you Commo, "Donkeys Ears" sounds abaaht Right Miduck.

Hubbs says he has heard the other saying before, so I don't think it was made up by Mam.

It would have been used for example... If you offered someone something, and they declined in an impolite manner ..Well you can please your Fat Ant (Meaning Auntie) would be the reply! Usually said to someone else sarcastically, out of earshot of the person.

Just chatting about some one with Hubbs (No it wasn't You) and just out of the blue, I remarked "Well He/She can please his fat ant (Aunt)"

I haven't heard that one for "Donkeys Years". There's another one. Why Donkeys Years. Whats wrong with ordinary years? It just makes you wonder what's locked away in the back of the mind.

Does any one know the origen of both sayings? Both often used by my Mam!

Hence,..........Yonks,

You can please your 'fat aunt'. I think that was a bit of Basford but what was really meant was 'You can please your fat arse.' We knew what we meant but we were too polite to go that far for fear of serious offence.

Referring to my grandfather, my grandmother used to say "He wants to know the back of Meg's behind, and how to get there"