Things our parents used to say

Denshaw. No, Andrew's grandfather wouldn't have sounded like Sue Pollard. Ain't she female ??

But it would be good if someone has a recording that can be played and listened to on Nottstalgia.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

I'll go along with that 'denshaw'.

And I'll tell you something else. Although I've been left New Basford some 60 years now; when ever I'm in the company of a Nottingham native I immediately fall into the old accent; I just can't help it youth.

• Upvote 3

I AM SURE the Nottingham accent has changed,we use many of the same phrases and words,but to me our kids and Grandkids sound very different from our parents and Grandparents,my hearing like most other things aint what it was but i struggle more to hear excactly what the young ones are on about.

• Upvote 1

I haven't lived in Nottingham for 50 years but people still place me to be at least a Midlander by my accent, which surprises me considering the various accents I've been exposed to. I remember the kids being very young when we returned from a 3 year stint in Malta and went to live in Thetford, Norfolk. After the kids had been at school for a while, they began to speak with an Eastenders' accent due to all the London settlers living in Thetford. I'm very happy to say the accent was soon lost with further moves!

• Upvote 2

We have never really had the same accent as our kids. The eldest 2 left Nottingham at a very early age to live in Surrey, where the youngest was then born. They then had the Surrey accent, they walked the parth, and took a barth. Then we came here when they were 13, 11 & 7, and they picked up this accent straight away. We have never lost our Nottingham accent, but must admit it's not so thick as it used to be.

• Upvote 3

Was visiting my Aunt Jean over the last few days and my wife was brushing her hair for her when Jean comes out with a saying I had not heard for a long time:

There's no lugs in it, is there?"

My wife had no idea what she was talking about..................Had to explain she meant knots or tangles.

• Upvote 3

The word 'scranny' came to mind while I was reading this thread. As a kid, I'd use the word meaning skinny or thin. If I had a sandwich with not enough filling I'd say "That's a bit scranny." I looked the word up and although it does mean what I thought, it does have a completely different meaning..lol :blush:

SCRANNY: I have always understood that a person who was 'scranny' was a bit dizzy in the head: scatterbrained, daft, dozy.

Having just asked three other people, they have each given the same definition. I have never heard of it meaning thin (scrawny). And certainly never heard of it having the awful meaning that is described in an urban dictionary.