Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

"The TEN O'CLOCK HORSES will come and get yer"

Still terrified by that one...

"Wait till yer dad gets home"

Even more terrified of that one...superseded by a stomach-churning feeling of impending doom.

Any particularly skinny kid was always nicknamed Belsen.

I guess the War was still a huge influence on children even in the 1960s.

I was one of those "skinny" kids! When we went to Skeggy me mum would say she was embarassed if I took me shirt off - "you look like you come from Belsen"!

My mam said 'like something out of Belsen Horror camp'. Also if it was dark, it was like 'the black hole of Calcutta' I wonder what that meant?

I was one of those "skinny" kids! When we went to Skeggy me mum would say she was embarassed if I took me shirt off - "you look like you come from Belsen"!

Much better that than the herds of out-of-breath, sweaty, lardy kids you see nowadays.

My mam said 'like something out of Belsen Horror camp'. Also if it was dark, it was like 'the black hole of Calcutta' I wonder what that meant?

The Black Hole of Calcutta was a notorious incident that occurred during the days of the Raj in India when hundreds of White prisoners (Women and Children too) were herded into a small room over night ,in the morning there were hardly any survivors ,killed by the lack of ventilation etc

And me stepdad used to say - don't turn sideways as we won't be able to see yer.

• 1 month later...

Mi mam and dad used to say"awnorragen yo lowsie wi chazgiz",meaning ive got a head full of nits,or "i'l put kekkle on yo can mash"(make tea).Medicine was called jollop,a sandwich to a toddler was called but-but,boboos for horses and dick-dicks for birds,and if you was a bit daft yo were called batchie.

Mi mam and dad used to say"awnorragen yo lowsie wi chazgiz",meaning ive got a head full of nits,or "i'l put kekkle on yo can mash"(make tea).Medicine was called jollop,a sandwich to a toddler was called but-but,boboos for horses and dick-dicks for birds,and if you was a bit daft yo were called batchie.

av gorra coal ouse burrits nextra shed (got me fishing tackle locked away safely in there) If I avva burnup it's logs

av gorra coal ouse burrits nextra shed (got me fishing tackle locked away safely in there) If I avva burnup it's logs

Not put any slek on it then youth?

My oad man used to mek brickettes out of it.

Nah av got good central eatin (One tooth in the middle o me gob..LOL) fires just fer show

I have just said another to SWMBO "I'm just ayin a GLEG on the computer"

Gleg meaning to look as in 'gis a gleg'

I don't think this saying is particularly a Nottm one, but I don't expect you hear it nowadays. When ever my mum heard of someone that had had a boy followed by a girl [or visa versa] she'd say, now she's got a 'pigeon pair'. Did anyone else hear of this?

Jogged one out of me here Stu

Of a lady with a particularly wobbly botton " It's like two Ferrets fighting in a sack"