Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Ditched was regularly used by mum, especially if I'd been out train spotting, whereby I'd always return home filthy, school shoes scuffed from wall climbing and trespassing. Knees grubby and invariably bloody and school gabardine Mac covered in mud, grease and oil from shed bunking escapades . No Vanish or fancy washing machines in those days. It was the wash house on Bath St.

• Upvote 1

My Mum said 'clarty' when referring to muddy soil on the fields - the sort of mud that sticks to your shoes/boots

Me Mam always used to say.....'he's a bigger liar than Dick Hart'......if she thought someone was being fictional with the truth,.......never did know who Dick Hart was......anyone else heard that one ?

A couple of well used expressions Mam often used and so do I.

If one of us was unnecessarily worrying and moaning about something trivial, Mam would tell us to stop Whittling on about it.

If we were just going on about something, she would say ...What are you wittering on about.

• Upvote 1

Dad always said.............'off to work so you can have Biscuits to dip in ya Tea'...........

Talking to my little grandson aged 3 yesterday, a phrase used by my mum and grandma came to me without thinking about it : "Be a good lad, and don't eat sludge!" Not sure what my son and his wife thought of that one!

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?)

Another variation was .'Looks like Narrer (Narrow) Marsh'.

If we were all going a bit mental, or arguing etc, it was 'Like Casey's Court'.

Grandma didn't approve of throwing any food onto the fire. 'Feeding the Devil'.

My Dad used to refer to heavy rain as 'Siling down'.

I've noticed the word 'Leery' coming back into popular usage. When we were kids it was pronounced 'Leareh' and meant something more like 'big headed',

'Ooo-er', or 'Oowerrrr!', was an expression of denial or disbelief. So, any hint of cockyness would be greeted with 'Ooweerrr, yer leary bogger!'

And of course if you were out and about with Mum or Dad and wandered into the road you'd probably get a 'Bat rahnd yer tabs' and be told to 'Gerront courseh'.

Col

• Upvote 6