Things our parents used to say

Yes, Katy, it was called 'sleep' at our house. I remember Mam also calling it 'guile'. Like many things our parents said I`ve no idea how you`d spell that. Never saw it written.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Not a parent saying but when I was a young lad we often called 'football' togger. Did anyone else, and if so do lads still say it?

So this isn't exactly what my parents used to say but rather a term not used any more and not very nice. When I was young in the 60's you used to get life size models of children, boys and girls with a crutch or calliper on the leg with a slot for putting coins and sign 'please help spastics' It is a term not used any more but was pretty common back then. If one of your mates miss kicked a ball or mucked up in similar circumstances you'd unkindly call him a spaz. As I have mobility difficulties now myself I cringe when I think about it. Does anyone else recall this.

Giving hubby a haircut today reminded me of a couple of things mam said when someone needed a haircut. If you don't get it cut soon, someone will put a violin in your hands, and, if it was particularly shaggy, are you going for an estimate first?

• Upvote 1

"Yer useless article ".

Ney mind hey'....................when someone did'nt like his opinion (Dad)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If someone gave mam something, she'd sometimes give them something at the same time, and say 'exchange is no robbery'

Also if it was a hot day, she's say she was a sweaty Horrocks.

Eating or drinking you start to cough and splutter.......................Mam always said.......'its gone down wrong hole'...............

• Upvote 1

If anybody was pulling a face or grimacing our parents would call it 'pulling meegrims' (sp?)

I can`t find any similar word in dictionaries etc. I wonder if it was a Nottingham word or just one of their own.