Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

My mum said like a man made of smoke too, she was from Basford. She talked about chapel hat pegs too, not sure if they were in relation to boobies sticking out, ears sticking out or eyeballs! No, I reckon with the eyeballs it was 'they stood out like they were on stalks'

Chapel hat pegs were ladies nipples where I came from . (And 'widers memmries') (sic) was something else entirely !!

My ex mum in law and her mum were from Bulwell (Forest side) and they always said 'yer like a man made of smoke'. No idea what it meant but they sid it to my kids a lot when they were little.

I remember my grandmother (a native of Netherfield) using that expression. I think it refers to someone who's not much use, or who isn't doing something correctly.

One other one of hers comes to mind, along the same lines; "You're too slow to carry hats! " . I've since learned that this referred to the practice of mourners following the coffin, with their hats removed as a sign of respect.

When asking my Gran what my Xmas/birthday present was going to be the answer was always "a whim wham for an oojar"

All girls were referred to as "that Judy".

Dad used to say "a wig-wam for a wowser" which is presumably much the same thing; and he also referred to girls (especially attractive, single ones) as "Judies".

Scriv, my m-i-l always said 'she was too slow to carry hot dinners'. If someone came in our house carrying something good, or expensive, my mum would say 'did anybody see you come in?' they'd say no, why, and she'd say 'well, they won't see you go out' meaning she'd nobble them and keep the item!

Scriv, my m-i-l always said 'she was too slow to carry hot dinners'.

At the opposite end of the spectrum; if anything happened quickly, my mother would say it was "before you could say knife".

Anyone else come across this one?

Gordon Bennett was a significant promoter and patron of sports, especially those requiring impressive and expensive equipment, for example international motor racing, ballooning and air racing. He gave several sponsorships in these fields, notably the Isle of Man Bennett Trophy races of 1900 to 1905 (subsequently a trials course on the island was named after him). A long-distance hot-air balloon race (The International Gordon Bennett balloon race), which still continues, was inaugurated by him in 1906.

If my dad got a weak/bad cup of tea he'd say 'it's like pussy pee and pepper'

When I started out my apprentiship one of my duties was "Tea boy" . One of the old hands would always say "Did you wash these cups out first?" To which the reply was always "Yes, why?" . "Cause I can still see the F*****g stains in the bottom!!" inferring that the tea was too weak.!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...