Things our parents used to say

Her tongue must be hung in the middle, thats what my Mum used to say if she thought someone was telling porkies

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

not a parents saying, but always recall hearing my 2 lads (now 41 and 37) talking, not sure of ages then but youngest pally with lad similar age few doors away called Daniel, one day he said he was going to see if "Aniel" (pronounced in his aged 4? voice "annual") was playing, to which his elder brother corrected him saying if that was his name he'd only come out at Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my next door neighbour's cats was looking through our patio door today, scowling at my 2 kitties. I said to my hubby, he looks like a duck looking at thunder. My mum used to say that, about anyone with a sour face.

Face like a smacked ar43 springs to mind . (Mind you that was not my mums sayingf, it was the landlady at my local when I was in my teens!!)

When I started out my apprentiship one of my duties was "Tea boy" . One of the old hands would always say "Did you wash these cups out first?" To which the reply was always "Yes, why?" . "Cause I can still see the F*****g stains in the bottom!!" inferring that the tea was too weak.!

When i took over the job as tea boy i gave everyones mug a good going over with pumice they all came up like new ,Boy did i get into trouble that was the only thing that gave the tea any flavour.

• 2 months later...

DONT KNOW IF THIS BEEN SAID BEFOR E BUT WAS LOOKING AT MY YOUNGER SON LEE THE OTHER DAY AD HE SAT ON THE SOFA , SUDDENLYSAID TO HIM WHATS UP WITH YOU YOU GOT A FACE LIKE PICKELED CABBAGE VINIGAR NOT HEARD OR SAID THAT IN YEARS , ONE OF MY MUMS SAYSINGS. THE ONE SHE WAS ALWAYS SAYING WAS OH I WISH I WAS A BERD I FLY AWAY. WHEN WE ASKED HER WERE SHE WOULD GO SHO WOULD SAY DONT BLOODY KNOW BUT WONT COME BACK.

• 2 weeks later...

When asked what was for dinner mum would reply s**t with sugar on!!

And something which was said which i think is a classic was "bloody hell the things you see when you don't have a gun!!"

If asked "What's for dinner?"

My mum would say "Windmill pie, if it gers round yer lucky."

Good one, not heard that one before.

Thought of a couple, not sure if they've appeared before and too many to go through to check.

Ram it in, Gungadin, when trying to fit something into a tight space.

Mind your own knitting, if you were being nosy.

Hi twroberts27, welcome in.

I Love your: "bloody hell the things you see . . . ." I'll have to nick that saying.

I read that your dad was a delivery man for Co-op bread. My mum had the Co-op for years, for delivery of both milk and bread. I can still smell the bread that came out of the waxed wrapper; I wrote to Katyjay about it not so long back. My mum used to carefully fold the wrapper up and put it to the back of the pantry for use later on for packing up sandwiches.

Another one for the nosy parkers was

"Mind your Beeswax"

I actually know a woman local to here who uses that one !! (Mind you they say Meduck round here too !!)

Sorry if these have posted before. My Dad used to mek me laugh with these sayings:

Dad: would yer?

Me: would I what?

Dad: sh*t and fall back in it!

You've got a face like a " bosted boot! " meaning I was a miserable little so and so....

When he was emptying the ashes, I can remember him saying : " Bleddy 'ell, I've gone and bont me sen! "

• 2 weeks later...