Things our parents used to say

my great grand mother name was fanny.

when my mum was in the old peoples home before she died one of the old ladies used to tell us stories about her and her friend fannyand fanny hated her name so much when they went out together they always called themselfs poppy and daisyalways said they smelt much better than a fanny she always had us in stiches with laughing at her storiesi wish i had taped those conversations with her.

my mum had alzimers so her short term memory was not great but she came out with some stuff about her childhood. but pysically untill her later months . the other lady was not very good pysically but her mind was very sharp and she loved to tellyou her stories about her past.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

An extension was "Just look at the back of your neck - you could plant taters in that!

And there was me thinking the last word in that phrase was "Ian"

What about when you were pulling a face or 'roarin' (Crying) ya mam used to say "if the wind blows yer face'll stay like that" :crazy:

never mind "are we there yet" what about' where are you going? "there and back to see how far it is"

My mum used to tell me "if you can't hit em, kick em and if ya can't kick em, then run like buggery....

She also used to say, "you're not too big to get a clout...I was 14 and 5'11...she was 32 and 4' 9....one day I was larkin' about and she said it, i said Yeah Right...I think I'm a bit too big now....she ran up three stairs and caught me a cropper round me tab....I was stunned...not by the slap but that she did it....she laughed her socks off...we still laff about it now...

My old man used to tell me when I was about the age of looking for a girlfriend that I was like a dog running after the number 62 bus...if he caught it he wunt know what to do wi it...

Thank to Ms Jackson for reminding me of this in another thread:

Me mam used to say "Don't just stand there looking gormless - gerronwi'it"(or Gerraahtonit).

It's decent!

To be 'scunnered' is to feel strong dislike, disgust or aversion to something, therefore a 'scunner' is someone who engenders those feelings in you!

Edit: You might remember Supergran's arch-enemy, The Scunner Campbell!

scunner.jpg

gerrin ere now for I wipe ya clock!

Iain Cuthbertson....See Me....I'm back...great Actor in his day...I remember him in "Budgie" with Adam Faith and "Danger UXB" can't say I watched him in Supergran...died a couple of years ago I think...2009 maybe...

Cuthbertson died 2009

Who can also forget his great role as the Procurator Fiscal in Sutherlands law in the early 70s

I remember that too now you mentioned it...sad...specially when you see some of the dross they call actors and presenters these days....anyway that's another topic...

kat my mum used to say run round table see what you can catch , not that our table was ever emty always a fresh pot of tea at our house cause always one or ther of the nieghbours in our house and with so many of us some one was always comming in hungry always found some thing to eat till the next meal even if it was only bread and dripping or lard , bread and jam. to keep us going ussually bread you had to cut too i was never very good at cutting it straight though two inch thick at one end quarter inch thick at the other meso mum ussuall cut it for me save waisting bread

"Who was at the door mam?"

"Ickie with his eye cut"

(In other words Mind yer own business)