Things our parents used to say

Me fost wifes faither, wokked at huckna' pit, & if he liked summat it were a 'cock bud, serry' . I stopped being his 'serry' when I left his dotter!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Nesh sure is Nottingham - and so is mardy (which few people in other parts of the country seem to have heard). Another from my mother-in-law, when asked "What's for pudding" her stock reply was/is "A run round the table." Her father looked with disdain on the youth of his day (that is, those of the generation previous to ours!) with the comment, "They'd do owt sooner than wok."

'One eye gone for a fish supper an the other one comin back wi the change' not pc to say that nowadays though...

'he's gorra face like a smacked a**e' was another one too...if you were about to cry it was 'Yer can straighten ya face, soon as ya like'

Wots up weeyer yo could sit on that bottom lip thats what i got told when i used to sulk if i could'nt get my own way

A non-pc bloke at Plessey, Beeston once said of an ex-girlfriend with a lazy eye: "She's got football eyes - one at home and one away."

• Upvote 1

If you catch a weasel asleep, p£ss in it's earhole, thats what my foster father always said to me if he thought I was telling fibs.

Anybody heard of that one? I have never heard it used since I was a kid,maybe it was just HIS saying.

If I asked how far off some place was, the answer would be: " There and back , thats how far it is milad"

I am still confused to this day why I got such stupid answer's, I mean when one got a good slap for being naughty, they always asked you if you would like some more of the same, as though you would say: OH yes please.

A cousin of mine had a hare-lip. My dad said that she got like that because she kept sucking her thumb in order to prevent me from doing it - rottten git!

SIT DOWN and SIT UP straight. ???....how do you do both UP and DOWN ???

Else you'll be as humped backed as a Camel. It was always accompanied by a dig between the shoulder blades with a finger !!

I have heard that my real Dad told my mum to take the clothes pegs out her mouth when she was hanging out the washing,otherwise the kid would be born with a hare-lip. ( My mum was pregnant at the time)

Another one was: I hope your underpants are clean, just in case you got knocked down by a bus.

I did consider not wearing any, at least I would not have got knocked down by a bus if they were a little soiled lol

Ah now that one I (Roughly) know the origins of.

That's to do with the leather industry and the tanning of the hide. At a certain point during the (Awful) process the hide is beaten with a pole to shake off any excess gunge left over from the hides. If it's done well it's called a 'good hiding'. If it's done badly it's 'A hiding to nothing' in that you'll be faced with a situation which is pointless ie to carry on the tanning with a bad hide will be a waste of time.

Of course I may be wrong !!!

A cousin of mine had a hare-lip. My dad said that she got like that because she kept sucking her thumb in order to prevent me from doing it - rottten git!

I once had a dog with a hare lip....................when it heard noises outside it would go mark, mark,mark............................I'll get me coat!!

• 5 weeks later...

Here's one that came to me today as I was gardening - No idea what brought it to mind:

Gi'oer nebbin! = Stop being nosey.