Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

You of course failed to remember your own post re Canning Circus P S a couple of years back ?

My mother never used to go shopping in Arnold. She used to go "Up street" (Front Street).

My mum always went "down Arnold".

Did you live on Back Street Compo?

By the way I went to the first evening of a 'History of Arnold' Course tonight. Some fascinating stuff.

Stu: I was born in 51 High Street. 1/11/50

My mum always went "down Arnold".

My mum would send me 'down Arnold' to the shops as well. In Hucknall where her family came from they talked about going 'down town' to the local shooping area in Hucknall whereas that would have meant going to Nottingham from Arnold/Redhill.

You missed a word out Thomas, it was always 'middler' (sic) next week. As in "The middle of".

I remember Len Smith. Got taken to him for a haircut when I was a young kid. Remember being pretty scared by his electric clippers and legging it out of his barber's chair! Len chased my up Chapel Lane next to the shop and was trying to catch me round some dustbins, doubtless with my dad laughing his head off in the background!

just read through the 39 pages of this forum. Really made me laugh. Some of the sayings I haven't heard since I was a child. We moved from Nottingham (Bulwell) to Canada when I was seven. But my mother used a lot of these saying. Nesh, mardy, being two of the words that I still use. I also "mash" tea, not steep it.

When I asked what was for dinner, it was always, a run round the table and a kick at the pantry door. And when I was being nosy, and asking what something was " Jim Jams to put meddler's noses in.

My mother retained her Bulwell accent until the day she died. But I learned very quickly and practiced a lot, to talk Canadian, so not to get my face washed in snow, for talking funny. This was in the 50's when there were not a lot of British immigrants to small town Ontario. But I find as I get older that the old saying and phrases come more easily to mind and off the tongue. Things that I haven't said or thought about in 60 years I find myself saying. I guess one always comes back to ones roots.

Barbara

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...

Apparently came down from Lancashire according to various Google sites.

And for the record: -

More tea, Vicar?

Johhny let a trump,
David tried to catch it,
Mary went behind the door
And hit it with a hatchet

The list of fart phrases and excuses is endless..........................