Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

My dad had a great uncle who was a farm manager at Denton near Grantham, and he was completely illiterate. One day he discovered some passer-by had left a gate open, allowing the cows to stray into adjacent fields. He was not amused, so addressing one of his (many) daughters, he said, "Nah then, yo get a bit o' board and write on it 'Shut yah this gate an' sneck it' " "Yes, dad, I will," she replied, "but how do you spell 'sneck'?"

If I did something stupid (that happened a lot) Mam would call me a daft turnip, e.g. "you don't do it like that you daft turnip." If anyone was rushing around she called them a scopodittle, e.g. "she's running round like a scopodittle, I wish she'd calm down." Mam was born in Sheffield & moved to Symomds Yat when she was a teenager, she moved to Nottingham when she was in her 20's, No one I've asked has heard of a scopodittle.

Can't see any reference to a scopodittle but there is a reference from Yorkshire for a scopodiddle , meaning a cheeky child .

My dad had a great uncle who was a farm manager at Denton near Grantham, and he was completely illiterate. One day he discovered some passer-by had left a gate open, allowing the cows to stray into adjacent fields. He was not amused, so addressing one of his (many) daughters, he said, "Nah then, yo get a bit o' board and write on it 'Shut yah this gate an' sneck it' " "Yes, dad, I will," she replied, "but how do you spell 'sneck'?"

"Sneck" lifter. a drop of nice stuff

extra_9.png

We, in Cinderhill, put our sneck down every night before going to bed, my hubby from Carlton Rd area, his family had never heard of the word.

for sneck we would say put latch on,then again we really never locked the door because our radiogram was the size of a coffin,the tv weighed a ton of bricks,no one had gadgets----i pad mobile phones or spare cash lying around,therefore never heard of many robberies in our area especially muggings they were unheard of

Bit off topic but do recall a break in at a firm on Durnford St. New Basford, about 1961? The thick? baddies broke in this upstairs factory, stole the heavy safe, then either dropped it or deliberatly tipped it A over T down the iron fire escape, You can imagine the noise! (at about 2am), As half the houses in the street's lights came on and people came out of the houses to see what the noise was they did a runner before likes of sgt blaketon and pc alf ventress arrived on their push bikes!

• Upvote 1

"It looks black over Bills mothers" referring to the weather, but I could never understand why it looked black over my grandma's house (As you can guess my Dad was called Bill)!

That must be about the 20th time someone has mentioned that in this thread !!............................... slywink

Bills Mams it is ! (Pretty sure there's actually a whole thread dedicated to the saying too..............LOL