Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Oh come on , if you're going to say that one you have to do it in 'Nottinghamese'

'is not backuds at cummin forruds'

Me mam used to say......................quick, get down behind settee afore the insurance man sees yer, he'll want payin' if he thinks we're in!!

\snip\, but the one i never understood and still dont is if u had a bad cold you need your chest rubbing with a blue brick! has any one eles heard this?

Blue Brick = Vick? Rhyming slang perhaps?

Worrabaht this'n:

Meaning not understanding/unsure/puzzled: Looking "Gone aaht". eg "When I tode 'im ter shurrup cuz eewer mekkin is sen look daft, he just stood and looked at me gone aaht".

I remember when asking where mum or dad was going if they went out thier reply would sometimes be "There and back to see how far it is"

My kids just asked where I'd been , my reply?

"T'other side of Yupperton"

Not heard it in tears ..........LOL

When asked where they had been my parents would reply "Been a puffy trotting to watch the monkeys dance" in other words Mind yer own bloody business!

• 2 weeks later...

There's some truth in that. I'm buggered if I can remember what though, although it's something to do with the white sap being used as a laxative in olden days.

It's something like that, and it's also where we get the word piss from

It's something like that, and it's also where we get the word p1$$ from

From the old latin 'pissier', to urinate.............................

This description of someone who was tight , i.e. a bit of a skinflint , made me laugh when I first heard it down here in the West Country :

Ee'd skin a turd to save a shillin'

If some one looked miserable they would say, ya look like ya lost a bob and found a tanner.

Apologies if I've posted this before. I once heard the following saying concerning someone who looked glum (a colleague, not parents, and not from Nottingham) - "E's got a face as long as a gas man's mac."