Things our parents used to say

that was often said about people who came from bread and lard island west bridge ford meaning all show till you take off thetop layer kath.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

that was often said about people who came from bread and lard island west bridge ford meaning all show till you take off thetop layer kath.

And of course the bread and lard bit was in the same style - fancy curtains at the window, but nothing to eat but bread and lard.

Don't know about "guzundas", but my uncle regularly asked if I had learned my "guzintas" yet - you know, "two guzinta six how many times?"

Turn that gogglebox off or you'll end up wi square eyes (and my dad mended telly's at Redifusion for a living, so he probbly watched more than I did)

you got so much muck on you you could grow spuds in my case it was proberble right couse i always managed to fall in all the puddles and the dykes my legs were only little and i could never jump them but dint stop me trying and i always managed to tear my dres when i was outside playing.. carnie i too still love a bit of bread and lard wi plentyof salt on it sometimes but it was cheaper than butter marge or drpping unless you had some left in your meat tin.

hi Piggy and Babs

i loved bread and dripping with salt on my mum used to buy it from a shop at the end of Sandfield Road opposite the top entrance to Arnold Park. It was best beef dripping in Arnold. ive never managed to find any since that was as good

My dad always said of West Bridgeford was fur coat and no knickers.

Piggy and Babs,

It is always a race when i cook a roast to see who can get the last slice dipped in the meat dripping,i would rather have a big fat crust dipped in the pan than the dinner any time.

"Wait there & we'll come back for you"...............................................still waiting..........................

"Wait there & we'll come back for you"...............................................still waiting..........................

You poor little soul Paulus. :-(

Piggy and Babs,

It is always a race when i cook a roast to see who can get the last slice dipped in the meat dripping,i would rather have a big fat crust dipped in the pan than the dinner any time.

Girl after my own heart, Carni! I posted some time ago that liked a slice or two of bread dipped in the red hot roast juices at the bottom of the pan. Sprinkled with pepper and salt - Heaven.

Also liked a piece of boiled potato fresh out of the pan with a spot of salt on.

As for West Bridgeford folks, I was raised at 8 Holme Road, WB when my parents lived at my Grans. Later moved to Carnarvon Road before RoT. Nothing wrong with WB.

I enjoyed bread and lard with pepper, but more so, the dripping in the bowl kept in the larder was more tastier.

Father told me later in life that when we were living at Holme Road and he was working, Grandma used to pack him a lunch everyday and it was either bread and dripping, bread and lard or bread and meat paste. My mother used to say that before I was born and she was working at Players, she got the same lunch packed up....day in and day out.

Never saw any briefcases or fur coats though!!

I never realised they wanted me to leave home , till I noticed my pack out was in an old map every time

I had a hard childhood, I had no toys so my folks told me to go and play with shells on the beach................................................. It was world was 2 at the time (Thanks Les !)

was in arnold yesterday for a hour as we wanted to go to a couple of shops parked in front of the pork buchers opposit boots had to go in and buy some dripping you have set me off i think ill have some today.

my dad always took bread and lard for his snap down the pit said it helped get rid if the dust in his throght better than ought else.

"When I was your age......................................................"

And that simple phrase could cover everything from food on the table, clothes on our backs, toys, pocket money and so on and so on in an attempt to make us realise how lucky we were.

Almost as good as the phrase....."You don't even know your born yet".

'You were born with a silver spoon in your mouth' mam would often say. As a tiny kid, I took her literally and thought that I had! I was born in a council house of working class parents, so I think what she meant was, my life was so much easier than hers had been as a kid.