Things our parents used to say

Michael , see page 52 for the closest match.......

don't come running to me when you fall and break your leg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

if mam wanted us to come in, she'd shout, 'come in number 24, your time is up' I think it harks back to the days when for a treat you'd rent a paddle boat on a lake, all numbered of course, and you'd pay for an hour, and when that time was up, the man would shout 'come in etc etc'

Come in number nine, your time is up!

But we only have eight boats..

Number six, are you in trouble?

If I wanted to do something and wasn't allowed, mam would say 'not tonight Josephine'

When we'd crouch down quickly, say to hide from someone, we'd 'dob' down. Haven't thought of that word in decades, it just came to me!

It must be one of those words with more than one meaning.We would also say"Dob"down to hide and

" Dob" someone in.........tell on them

also Split on

also Dobbing off School

Reminds me that if we answered "Eh?" my Mum would say " Hey, Hosses eat it and it makes Bulls s4it ! " but she'd only mouth the last word a la Les Dawson !

"Dab in"... Get a move on.

"Well I'll goo to aar aaahhs!" (Well I'll go to our house!)... Exclamation of surprise at something someone said.

If someone came out with a big word, mam would say 'I think he's swollered a bleddy dictionary.

If something was really dusty, she would say, there's enough fluff to stuff a cushion.

The advert you're thinking of Den was for "Swisskit" and the advert was someone daring kids? to do things, their answer was "I'll risk it for a Swisskit

And ours finished with :- "And all the little puppydogs will have a bit"

if mam wanted us to come in, she'd shout, 'come in number 24, your time is up' I think it harks back to the days when for a treat you'd rent a paddle boat on a lake, all numbered of course, and you'd pay for an hour, and when that time was up, the man would shout 'come in etc etc'

So who remembers when they had rowing boats for hire on the Trent ?? They were located about 100 yds from Trent Bridge towards the Memo Gardens on the city side. There was no 'elf and sefty then. Remember as a ten year old taking a boat out with two of my younger brothers. Never rowed a boat before in my life, but the guy taking the money didn't seem to care. Either that or I was very convincing. They had canoes as well as rowing boats.

Reminds me of a funny from way back then. Chap at the side yells out "Come in number 99, your time is up". His assistant tugs on his sleeve and says "We don't have a number 99". So first bloke then yells out "Number 66 stop messing about".

"Come in No.9 your time is up!"" But boss, we don't have a No.9" "No.6, are you in trouble?"