Things our parents used to say

Every now and again, something happens to remind me of things my parents, especially my mam, used to say all the time. At the time, we never thought them peculiar, they were always there in conversation.

For instance, if you were going out, she'd say 'Have you got your gasmask?' and you'd reply, yeah, I've got it on. I guess this harked back to the war years, but we kept it up for years afterwards.

Any more sayings?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Just thought of another one Katyjay.

I'LL TEACH YOU TO SWEAR YOU LITTLE SOD! But I already know how to swear Dad.

I used to get that one a lot followed by a thick ear

Roger

• Upvote 1

My late mother’s Nottinghamese produced regular use of the world ‘piffle’, often used in conjunction with ‘rammel’ and ‘twaddle’.

Her word for a fried meal was ‘frizzle’, my use of which at school once caused me to be dragged to the front of the class for the ritual humiliation.

She also used a collection of her own particular local phrases, which both my children revel in repeating to this day.

Some examples were:

“I’d want two of them for that price!”

“Not for the likes of us”

“Yer look like the Devil!”

“I’ll clip yer earhole, in two minutes”

“Stop slopping and slormin’”

“That what yer can’t eat”….. covering any reference to sexual matters.

I’ll get my kids to remind me of some others.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

My mam also used the word Rammel, for anything junky. We'd also put the sneck down at night on the front door lock. My husband who came from the Carlton rd area, his mum never heard of sneck before. My parents came from Basford, maybe it was a word used there.

• Like 1

If you don't behave yoursen, I'll knock you into next week.

If ever we couldn't find anything, and asked where it was, she'd say 'up my a*se, on top shelf.

• Upvote 1

You'd better goo ta sleep afore ten o clock osses come rahnd.

What the bloody hell was all that about?

Roger

• Upvote 1

If you're too poorly to go ta wurk then you are too poorly to go aght tnite anf enjoy yersen

Gerron the corsey, orl I'll batcha tab!

Bit dark ower Bill's muvvers. I never fathomed where that one came from, but it appears folks in the West Country and as far up as Manchester used that same one.

• Like 1

I can't remember my dad having any sayings, but he did call his nose his ookumsnifter. He also used to ask me to pull his finger! I thought it was so clever when he let one rip. [well we didn't have a telly then, so, easily entertained] He did use quite a few words picked up in India and Burma during the war. The newspaper was the coggage, to look was to take a dekko. Also he called rice pudding, chinese wedding cake.

When asked what was for dinner mum would reply s**t with sugar on!!

And something which was said which i think is a classic was "bloody hell the things you see when you don't have a gun!!"

• Upvote 3

And what about the mild swear words our parents used to use, all of which the younger generation never use, such as 'Bledy Hell' or 'bu99er All'

Any more anyone??

• Upvote 1
Mind yer dont get yerself moderated Frank,

You know what a prudish bunch us freqenters of the Poacher are! :rolleyes:

I think the Mod has it in fer me now Mick cos I referred to Professional Music Choosers ;)

Bet I get all me posts modded now !rulez! boombox2