Things our parents used to say

Re # 1374, only in certain company Beachbum. It irritates me intensely how "gay" has been introduced to make the activity more acceptable. I used to be gay when opening Christmas or birthday pressies, or when I'd had too much "pop". Now I daren't even speak the word for fear of being misinterpreted . Nuff said !!!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Having just called one of the cats Cloth Ears because he was ignoring me, reminded me it was one of mam's sayings.

You'd better goo ta sleep afore ten o clock osses come rahnd.

What the bloody hell was all that about?

Roger

[/quote

The ten o'clock osses used to empty the toilet bin's and if you did not behave they would take you away in the bins.

Tomlinson,

In answer to your question #1387,

I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms.

The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can't remember if it was Cobbled or Bricked. In the corners by the back door, we each had what i can best describe as a dusty piece of dried Earth. We spent all day on that bit of muck, making castles, with mams cups and digging with spoons!.Proper little mud larks. Even at this age, I remember the long hot summers in that garden, and dashing in for a cup of water (in the one I had just been making mud castles with) and a quick rinse under the cold tap, hence the Tide Marks, Out with that tin bath or a stand up wash in the big white sink, :huh::biggrin:

• Upvote 5

As for leaving the door open, I had a teacher who would say "Do you come from Warsop?" I think it was alleged that some houses built there shortly after the war, when materials were hard to come by, at first had either no or few internal doors. Anyone else heard this one?

One my dad used to come out with aimed at me was " Don't talk wet". As if I ever did tee hee hee!!!!! Surely he realised that I knew everything at sixteen.

Reading the tree bumblebee thread, and folks getting bitten by mozzies etc, reminded me of one of mam's sayings. If someone got bitten by an insect, she'd say, they only go after bad meat.

I must be really bad meat then, I can hear the mozzies cheering when I get off the plane, they think "free grubs here again!".. :)

• Upvote 1

One from my mum: "If you aven't got owt nice to say, don't say owt at all".

Seems applicable to some of the threads on here!

• Upvote 2

Mine said that too, but it didn't sink in. LOL

• Upvote 1

My cousin had a hare lip. My father used to tell me that she got it by sucking her thumb and if I sucked my thumb I too would end up like that :(

I was too scared to suck my thumb after that warning! As Larkin said "They fuck you up, your mam and dad".

Thought of a couple more which may have already appeared in the annals but I'm too lazy to look! If there was a full moon we were told, turn over the money in your pocket and it will double. Don't know where that came from. The old favourite, put clean underpants on in case you get run over, and if you were pulling a face, if the wind changes, you'll stay like that. Don't know where that came from either.

• Upvote 2