Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

MY mam always said,i cant stand a thief,but i prefer a thief to liar,

And Dad always said 'moderation in all things' and 'always listen to the other persons point of view' ................nice one for this forum ?

• Upvote 4

Hi basfordred

A few things my mam said to me

You have made your bed & you must lie on it

It won't always be dark at six

If you can't be good be careful

Stop acting the goat

Take that look of your face

You kids drive me mad I will end up in Mapperley

I can see through you

Just love other members sayings- so familiar

• Upvote 2

When Dad gave me a clip,he always said 'that hurt me more than it did you' took me alot of years to work that one out. lol

#1403. In Mucky Uckna' they would say 'gode watch' with the latter pronounced as in match.

• Upvote 1

Mum often came out with. "Well, you know what thought did ". This was normally in response to something I'd cleverly said, thinking that I knew everything.

She never did realise that at 15, I DID know everything !

When Dad gave me a clip,he always said 'that hurt me more than it did you' took me alot of years to work that one out. lol

When my mother said that I replied "Then hit Me Again !"

Basfordred, we all did at 15. Now I've a grand-daughter who thinks she knows everything. And she tells me at mega decibels.

• Upvote 1

Re #1414 Tomlinson - "You and whose army" was the response to the boast of what "you" would do - especially a threat of what you would do to get even. A colleague of mine had an alternative response. "When you're big enough you'll be too old!"

Mum often came out with. "Well, you know what thought did ". This was normally in response to something I'd cleverly said, thinking that I knew everything.

She never did realise that at 15, I DID know everything !

My Mam would say. "Well you know what thought did"

My reply no!

Her reply."Followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding"

• Upvote 1

" Be said" that was another of mums irritating sayings. It really did pi55 me off !