Things our parents used to say

When asked what was for dinner mum would reply s**t with sugar on!!

And something which was said which i think is a classic was "bloody hell the things you see when you don't have a gun!!"

omg remember mum saying the first quote lol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

come eer or i'll gi yer summat ter come eer for

where yo bin? GELLING or in me sisters case LADDIN. or traipsin rond town.

• Upvote 2

Beduth (#1481), I found a couple of popular origins regarding 'Your pulling my leg'. The first one is that someone would have their leg pulled and they'd fall over and look stupid in front of everybody.

The second is where a thief in the olden days would pull someones legs to make them fall over. An accomplice would then rob the victim of their valuables.

• 3 weeks later...

The emblem of Toc H (the World War One phonetic alphabet for the letters TH = Talbot House) was a lamp - a teacher at Crane School had such a badge on his lapel. Obviously the emblem did not have a flame, hence the lamp being dim.

My Dad used to say, "You're like a wandering Jew" if I was walking around aimlessly or couldn't sit still.

I presume the saying comes from here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

Yes Scriv. If I had 'ants in me pants' Dad would say, "You're like a fart in a colander and don't know which hole to come out of".

The emblem of Toc H (the World War One phonetic alphabet for the letters TH = Talbot House) was a lamp - a teacher at Crane School had such a badge on his lapel. Obviously the emblem did not have a flame, hence the lamp being dim.

One of my favourite expressions I heard from the television. "You're as useful as an incontinent trapeze artist"!

• Upvote 2