Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

One of my favourite expressions I heard from the television. "You're as useful as an incontinent trapeze artist"!

Yes; and another expression I heard on TV the other night which I thought was very expressive. I think it was BBC 1 "Big School". Headmistress said "No thank you; I'd rather shite in my hands and clap". Claaaaasy !

Sad to say, I don't think I really understood my mum until after she died (1991)! Only then did I realise how much she meant to me. I miss her even now!

Don't know about the pea thing - but the "tide mark" routine sounds very familiar!

Mum would rarely swear - but if we were pestering her about what was for "pudding" (desert was for snobs), eventually she would get frustrated and tell us "sh&t wi sugar on"! She must have learned that one growing up in Snienton!

Can hear my mum and mama both saying that - sh** with sugar - happy memories but also makes me sad x

Never heard that one Commo; with us it was 'have you seen youre 'ar*e' or 'youve got the monk on' or even just 'straighten it'

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, the 5th photo from DaveN shows the Helter Skelter with the motto "Slide and Slip and cure the Pip" so it was probably known outside of Nottingham and perhaps a known Victorian saying.

One thing my mother used to say which annoyed me, and still does when I think of it, tempered with a great deal of sympathy. I might suggest I buy a car, perhaps a house, or, horror of horrors!!! go to university!!! To such remarks she would answer, "That's not for folk such as us". The daughter of a Derbyshire coal miner, she spent her working years in service and married a miner herself. At least these days ambition can be for 'folk such as us'.

• Upvote 1

I just entered Wallop on the Word Association thread, and it reminded me of an expression Dad used to say. I say it as well. Is it just in my family, or does anyone else use this when referring to food? For example if hungry he would say "I must have some Wallop"?

WALLOP !! Nowt to do with food carnie' but it brought back memories of avery funny bloke i worked and palled up with at AB Gibsons in the 70s,he was a Woody Allen lookalike from Arnold,and would SHOUT WALLOP at every opportunity,he even used it as agreeting,his other crazy shout was ARSENAL,

I think he was slightly mad but very funny.

Last heard of him about 20 years ago,his name was keith Scotney,anyone know him let me know,he had a twin Richard.

• Upvote 1

iTS funny how one word such as the one you mentioned carnie' can evoke memories i suppose thats what this forums about really,its now got me remembering other outstanding characters that ive encountered thru life,people who stand out for all sorts of reasons.

Maybe start a topic on that,

It makes me wonder if the man you spoke off from Arnold could have been suffering from Tourettes Syndrome. Shouting out like that is something that people do with that condition. I don't know if the condition was recognised all that long ago, so probably didn't have a name then. I have encountered two people with tourettes and they can be very distressed trying to control the shouting.

• Upvote 1

It makes me wonder if the man you spoke off from Arnold could have been suffering from Tourettes Syndrome. Shouting out like that is something that people do with that condition. I don't know if the condition was recognised all that long ago, so probably didn't have a name then. I have encountered two people with tourettes and they can be very distressed trying to control the shouting.

now you mention it carnie,he did sometimes exclaim......f...... b....... and the odd c... very loudly...... :)

not really only f.......... joking

I took a little notice of what dad said, and absolutely no notice whatsoever of what my mother said!

Self taught. If my parents liked something, then I didn't and vice versa.

• 5 weeks later...