Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

All those words, Caz, were in our house too. Also my mum would call your head, your juff, like shift your juff. It was like living in another country, in our house!

If she had a cold and a constantly running nose, she'd yell 'rot the snot'

And also 'I'm so hungry I could eat a horse between 2 breadvans'

Or I cud eat n'oss hoofs n'all

Mi mam used ta say yerrent got the sense yawa born wi

My mum and gran always said this to the girls before they went out at night " keep yer hand on yer hapeny"

Has anyone posted this one yet ? " you'll be laughing on the other side of your face in a minute"

My dad used say to my sister if she was going out in a short skirt " your'e not gooin owt dressed up like a dogs dinner"

My Gran used to send me to corner shop for things and she would say "teller to purrit on book" which she paid at weekend.

They use 'me duck' all along the Trent Valley . From Crewe, through Stoke, Rugely ,Burton etc .It's one of the only things I say to folk round here and they understand what I mean

Hi Beefsteak, I have heard it used in Manchester too which got me thinking???? Manchester,Crewe,Stoke,Burton and Nottingham this would be a route taken by the Fellows Morton & Clayton narrow boats bringing tar oil along the Trent and Mersey Canal to Nottingham, the boat people would have seen loads of ducks on the way. Who knows someone might have seen a duck and said "ayup mi duck" and it stuck as a greeting. Another saying you often hear is "tar very much" meaning thank you, but it could have been used when the boatman got his measure chitty after loading up with tar. I'm sure some history buff will put me in mi place but it meks ya scratch yer ed dunnit.

jackie bells was a rough pub in netherfield, see elsewhere

Mick, Jackie Bells was only rough if you wanted it to be, they used to do tremendous beef and dripping cobs back in the days when I worked in Bournes Mill.

It was also a Notts County stronghold.

Always hoped I'd got a rich relative somewhere.

Blankets ??? Don't think we had those. Just an old eiderdown with our coats piled on top.

And no central heating or double glazing -- or even gas & electricity.

(And had to be careful where you put your feet when you got out of bed. Especially if the guzzunder hadn't been pushed fully under under the bed!

Hi teebee, brings back memories of my early childhood living at mi nana's, I would never pee in the guzzunder so I had to walk down three flights of stairs and down the yard to the lavvy sometimes in the snow. Like you there was no electricity but they had gas and it was waste of time trying to light the gas mantles to see where you were going cos they took an age to brighten up.

When it was bathtime nana would say "come on mucky pup lets avya in tin", tin meaning tin bath in front of the range and she used to heat the water by dropping flat irons into the tin which were heated on the fire. There were as many as four flat irons on the fire at any time ready to be dropped in (the prototype of the modern day combi boiler). I often would moan out "nana the waters cowd" and she would say "oppen yer legs" and drop a red hot iron into the bath, the water would bubble up and my legs would be kicking like a strangled duck "your not moaning its cowd now arya". Health and Safety eh!!.

Now that the tone of this thread has already been lowered a bit, perhaps I can now add that we kids were sometimes told to soak our feet in the guzzunder, po, poe, pot or whatever . Not filled with water either!! thumbsdown

Supposedly a good old country remedy for the chilblains on our feet caused by the lack of heating in our cottage (was probably frostbite if truth were known).

Yes, there were days when frost had to be chipped off the inside of the bedroom windows, and there was also no water available from the tap (single) for the same reason.

But we did have some bedtime comfort in the form of the cast iron oven shelves, hot from the kitchen range, wrapped in a towel and placed at the bottom of the bed. Or a housebrick that had been heated the same way.

(Should this be in a new thread - drifted off the topic a bit ??)

teebee it's not a supposed remedy it's tried and tested as I have stated in another forum, as a teenager I suffered badly with athletes foot and no matter what remedy I tried it never cleared up. On a visit to my doctor he said you can try all the medicine on offer but the best cure is to pee in a bucket and soak your feet in it, you are taking the p*ss I thought but in desperation I tried it. After about two weeks there was no sign of the disease and I have not had an infection to this day, my wife says that I am the only man she has ever known not to have smelly feet perhaps the ammonia seals up the sweat glands in your feet.

When they yelled you and they used your middle name too...then you knew it was trouble.

In our house your proper name meant trouble as in my case "Ray" meant she wanted you, but "Raymond" meant you didn't want her to want you. "Raymond, gerrin ere this minute" meant you wanted to take an age to get in there.

• Upvote 1

Eating a sweet last week which was quite sour and my cousin said I'll bet that made your tabs flap

Dodie, my wifes family originate from Norfolk and on a visit there we went blackberry picking, when I put one in the bowl that was a little unripe her cousin said "moint put them'as in as they fair moik yer arse touch your elbows" meaning they are a little sour boy.

All I know is, a pair of crows were trying to build a nest in the trees at the back of our house in November !! (I kid you not!), but it kept getting blown away so eventually they gave up , I've got a Cock and Hen Blackbird doing similar now!!

Valentines day (Only 35 days away) is the day that birds are supposed to mate for the Spring

Can someone send me a bird round on Valentines day then, oh I am naughty!

• Upvote 1

I have heard that my real Dad told my mum to take the clothes pegs out her mouth when she was hanging out the washing,otherwise the kid would be born with a hare-lip. ( My mum was pregnant at the time)

Another one was: I hope your underpants are clean, just in case you got knocked down by a bus.

I did consider not wearing any, at least I would not have got knocked down by a bus if they were a little soiled lol

Mi nan used to use that one Thomas,

If I got run down by a bus the last thing I would think was are mi clouts clean? and lets be honest your clouts would get soiled just before the bus hit you anyway lol.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this is pure Nottingham speak but when eating a doorstep I was asked "eya gorra bad and"? I assumed it was because the doorstep made my hand look bandaged. Anyone else heard this one?

Too right Pevril always had a bandage on mi hand

The discipline was always handed out by mam as dad used to work away a lot and when she was about to clout me she would say "this'll hurt me more than it'll hurt you"

Ok mam save us both the pain why don't ya.

As a teenager I gave her some lip in front of mi mates ooooh! big mistake, wham straight round the lug hole and when mi muckers laughed they got one too.

Your not allowed to chastise kids now but they are allowed to go round abusing people often physically and get away with it, who brought that rule in?. If my mam was here today she would give em all a good tabholing. Bless her.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...