Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Had a great aunt who lived next door to us, used to say to me a "watched kettle never boils" totally untrue, I tested it one day after so long it did boil and continued to do so till the bottom of it burnt out and caused the electric cooker to blow up.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

My grandmother used to say - he/she been hiding their light under a bushel.

Mums favourite - stop running around like a fanny in a fit (no offence intended) I was born in the north east so have no idea if these odd saying were used elsewhere.

Gem

Right, here's one for you.

Have you heard of 'Pobbies'? Now whether it was only my Mum who used it or whether it was a word in general Nottm. use, I don't know.

Pobbies was a war time breakfast. It was bread with a scrapping of butter boken into spoon size, warm milk and a sprinkling of sugar.

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of the superb rhyme in Hilaire Belloc's poem about Lord Lundy who was for ever bursting into tears :

"His grandmama (his mother's mother -

who had some dignity or other,

the garter or, no matter what -

I can't remember all the lot)

said 'O that I were brisk and spry,

to give him that for which to cry.'

An empty wish, alas, for she

was blind and nearly ninety-three."

• Upvote 2

Pobs ? It was known as 'Bread in a Basin', or 'Sop' to me and my younger brother.

A cause of great embarrassment to this five year old when teacher went round the class asking what we had for breakfast - and I proclaimed "Sop Miss" !! (Much hilarity that caused).

Very descriptive titles for this regular breakfast treat in the nineteen forties.

As we could not afford the milk, but had to make do with weak tea, bread and perhaps a sprinkling of sugar - but not too sure about the latter !!

No point complaining either as that brought forth the comment "take it or leave ".

• Upvote 1

When my children were arguing when they were young, my Mum used to chide them saying: "birds in their little nests agree". Actually, they don't do they.....

An aunt of mine used to say " nothing rhymes with orange" sorry aunts but it doesn't.

Nothing rhymes with Orange, Purple or Silver................

In the 1950's If a woman was known to be giving birth, my gran would say, she's gone to have her shoes mended.........If she wanted a pee, she would say I'm just off to Papplewick..........

What happened to the 10 o'clock horses ?.............Or corporation pop (water) .......