Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 3 weeks later...

If mam had told me to do something, I hadn't but told her I thought I had, she would ay 'You know what Thought did? and he only thought he had'.

If you were looking a bit down a phrase I remember was " ehh looks like ya lost a bob an found a tanner"

anybody considered to be a bit dopey was "three sheets t tha wind" or "a sucky bu99er"

At meal time "ya get no puddin if ya dont eat all ya dinner"

To keep you out of mischief "If ya gu down there bogey man'l get ya"

• Upvote 1

My mother and aunts frequently alluded to a creature called the Fiddlygrub.

Apparently it crawled into a paper bag and then pulled the bag in after it.

I can't fully recall the application, but I think it was when something went missing.

Mother and aunts,were Derbyshire born and bred. Has anyone else heard of this?

If someone had their hair pulled back tightly into a bun or ponytail, mam would say, she looks like a scraped carrot.

• Upvote 2

If you didn't go to sleep when you went to bed, the 10 o'clock horses will come and get you.................

I can recall the "10 O'clock horses" It used to scare me when I was a child but I did use that phrase rather puzzingly in the army to my section. I meant it in the opposite way in that they should stay awake and aware whilst on guard. One of my lads was a scouser and often said "Wot yez on about Sir?" to many of my comments and phrases and I replied in Notts dialect using even more obscure terms. I know he thought I was a "soft lad"

Me Mam would have been 85 on 31st March- died last year. Born on Bloomsgrove St- she said some great things. If she was having a conflab with another woman, and i asked who she was talking about she'd say " inky- inky with his eye cut" . " ten o'clock horses will get ya" was another. She told me that during the war a local pawn shop window was full of meat and potato pies- local wives had made them and pawned 'em!! I've never really LIVED have i?? Anyone else got some Mam sayings??

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can't afford it"

She detested HP, or "on tic" as being the youngest in a fatherless family of 4, she got the left overs and had the job of answering the door to the "Tic" man and saying mam was out, can he come again later. Gran was a boozer and beer came before everything else.

Money scared my mum to death, and she was always saving for that "rainy day" just in case.

In these times of plenty I think we lose touch of the hard times our parents suffered back then.

• Upvote 6