Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Nice comments. Reminds me of the comment I just HAVE TO make when we are out somewhere: "Look, that's a smart car"

#1750. Now look what you have done, Bubblewrap. carni will see the biscuit and that will be it - off troughing again!

• Upvote 1

Has this thread morphed into "favourite biscuits?" If so, I'll say ginger crunch creams

Another of mam's sayings, if you were showing your disappointment at being given something to do, she would say ' Don't sit there rolling your eyes up like a duck at thunder'.

Noisy as Billy Balls Tap Room and Throng as Thrips wife.

My childhood estate was built in the early 1950s and at the bottom of the road stood a row of shops. The grocer's was owned by a Mr Williams. Until she was taken into a nursing home in 2008 she still said she was "popping down to William's" for some shopping.

That's should read Throps Wife

Noisy as Billy Balls Tap Room and Throng as Throps wife.

Or Katy- tow bars on hearses- crafty as a cart load of monkeys- i taught you everything i know and 'yer still know nowt- cloth ears- eyes bigger than yer belly- she's on assistance- craftier than a s***t house rat- a bitta carbolic wouldnt go amiss-eyes like chapel 'at pegs.

• 2 months later...

The other day I nearly came out with an expression I haven't heard for ages. I didn't use it because it wouldn't have been understood. When someone is in a hurry or impatient, they are told, 'Take yer sweat'.

• Upvote 1

If you were looking miserable my grandma would say 'what's up wi your fizzog' if your hair was a mess,'you look like yo bin thru a edge backwards' and 'av yer got clean keks on ' and 'do yo want summat to eat yer look clammed'

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Was just ironing a teeshirt someone gave me and found it was full of holes! The saying came to mind that mam said, it was more holy [holey] than righteous.

My mum used to say 'well I'll go to the foot of our stairs' when something surprised her. And 'you look like neither nowt nor summat' - I think it was if I looked a bit of a sight.

And the three wise monkeys in full: See all, hear all, say nowt. Sup all, drink all, pay nowt. And if ever thou does owt for nowt allus do it for thisen'