Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Just remembered one me mum used to say! If we replied "I don't care" to a serious question she would recite this little ditty:

Don't care was made to care,

Don't care was hung.

Don't care was put in a pot,

And boiled 'till he was done!

I have just said another to SWMBO "I'm just ayin a GLEG on the computer"

Gleg meaning to look as in 'gis a gleg'

Better aying a gleg at computer than lookin' at bleddy gogglebox all night, youth.

Try tellin er that

She has just set both our videos to record programmes (at the same time) that only she will watch cos there on at the same time as summat else she wants to watch (and I don't) I'll be back on here then!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gerahtonitelsealbatyatab.........................Go away please, otherwise i may use violence

Gerahtonmiway......................................Excuse me olease

Gizzarffonit............................................May i share that with you.

Yalluswannagerrasustificut.......................Obtain a doctors note

Arryayinwun..........................................May i buy you a drink

Apologies if these have been posted before!

• 1 month later...
can any body remember this one when you were on a wall,,AGEROFFONIT OR ILL BAT YER TAB

Look one post up

can any body remember this one when you were on a wall,,AGEROFFONIT OR ILL BAT YER TAB

Welcome Peter,

Your was the Basford Vershun Wonnit?

• 3 weeks later...

Lynnie, that is such a coincidence you putting that rhyme on here [which we also used to say as kids] because I was just coming on line to start a new thread about old rhymes.

Lynnie, that is such a coincidence you putting that rhyme on here [which we also used to say as kids] because I was just coming on line to start a new thread about old rhymes.

Im sure some more will come to me that i can add down,Funny cause i havent thought of that rhyme for years.it just came to me !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Just in case anyone thinks I've fallen from the face of the earth, I've not. Apart from 3 weeks holiday over April/May, I go on this website 3 or 4 times a day. It's just that I'm a stealth bomber, I am under the radar. Not my fault but the computer's. I do not show as logged in at anytime I go on. If I want to reply to something then I have to log on, but the next time I go back on, I've disappeared again. It's a bu99er!

Anyhoo, I've thought of a few more things that rolled off me mam's tongue.

If you were going out, with someone else from your house, when you were ready, you'd say to the other person 'Are you fit?' to which they'd reply, 'Yeah, fit to drop'

If someone's hat didn't sit properly on their head, she'd say 'it looks like a pimple on a drum'

If she liked something, she'd say 'it's lovely, Mrs 'oskins' [don't know who Mrs Hoskins was?]

Not sure if I've already said this one, but 'a blind man on a galloping hoss, won't notice'

. It's just that I'm a stealth bomber,

I know, I've got pictures of her bomb bay (On that there calender)

When youve lost something and yer mam says...

'I bet yer find it in the last place you look' :ohmy:

My mum would say "look where you left it"!

• 2 weeks later...