Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas is coming,

The goose is getting fat,

Please put a penny in the old man's hat.

If you haven't got a penny a ha'penny will do.

If you haven't got a ha'penny then God bless you.

Why, if you can afford to invest in a gosling earlier in the year; you can give time and effort in its protection, feed and upkeep; your dad can afford a hat that will hold money and the goose is putting on a good weight; what right do you have to try and negotiate a charitable gift?

Sorry If I've said this on here before, but on a day like today my grandma would have said it was 'One o' them dark days afore Christmas'.

Something else she would say - back in the 1960s - was if we were having extreme weather conditions - 'It's because of them men they keep shooting up into space. It's not right'.

• Upvote 1

Some good quips on this topic, but let's get one thing clear. As kids, we all thought the things our parents said was utter rubbish.

It's only now in our later years that we look back in amusement, and have a wry chuckle.

You mugwump........

Heard this term a few times when I was a youngster and thought it meant being a fool or childish.

Google indicates it is of American origin and of a political sense.

Please, anybody else heard of this phrase back in the 50s around Notts?

If mam saw a bloke with shaggy hair in need of a haircut, she'd say, all he needs is a bloody violin.

And if she didn't want to do something, she wouldn't do it 'for all the tea in China'

• Upvote 1

Never heard the long hair/violin thing, But my mum also used the expression "not for all the tea in China"

Re #1893 - I think a "mugwump" referred to someone who was either indecisive - sitting on the fence to the speak, or maybe one who tried to have his cake and eat it (or, to put it another way, he "ran with the hare and hunted with the hounds"). He was "mug" on one side and "wump" on the other.