Things our parents used to say

I ordered a tonic water at the bar and was asked if I'd like a lime in it. Sure, says I, let's push the boat out. I'm sure he thought I was barmy. It was something you heard a lot in my childhood, but I hadn't said that in at least 30 years, funny how things just pop back in your mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 2 weeks later...

If someone was doing really well and was very pleased with themselves, mam would say that they were 'in their eye 'oles'.

• Upvote 1

Remember me Dad looking for 'Lobby Ludd' on holiday in Rhyl mid 50s,..........apparently if you recognised him you got a Fiver'.......sumat to do with a Newspaper?.............

When things went pear shaped, dad would come out with 'Flaming Hellfire'. It always made me chuckle.

I did once ask him that, Katyjay, and he said it was Robin Hood's uncle!

He also used to say he was going to see a man about a dog and once told me that when I was a baby, he'd tried to swap me for a puppy but the owner of the puppy said he wasn't interested because the dog was a better looking! Damned cheek!

Remember me Dad looking for 'Lobby Ludd' on holiday in Rhyl mid 50s,..........apparently if you recognised him you got a Fiver'.......sumat to do with a Newspaper?.............

Yes, this is what he was on about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

I can remember the Daily Mirror for one still doing something on those lines in the 1960s.

• Upvote 1

I've read a lot of the posts and many of my grandad's sayings are mentioned elsewhere but ....

I'll go tut foot of our stairs.

It's black over Bill's mother's.

You're nesh or mardy - never really understood these

Going there and back to see how far it is.

I'm going down the end (the end of the yard when he wanted a fag (Park Drive of course)

Sucker (ice lolly), tuffee (for any sweet) - I was from London so this was alien language to me

And one that was totally unfathomable ...

Well I never, did you ever see a pig without a blether (maybe he made this one up).

If we bought something that turned out to be useless, or came across something that was just not fit for purpose,  it would be described as " a bit knick knack puff", no idea where that came from but has been in family use for years!