Things our parents used to say

On 24/08/2016 at 8:09 PM, SteveS said:

You're nesh or mardy - never really understood these

Mardy - a child much given to crying if said child doesn't get their own way.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 3 weeks later...

If dad was stuck behind and dithering, bewildered and slow motorist, he'd say,

'He doesn't know whether he wants a 5hit, shave or a haircut '. I thought it was hilarious.

Loads of Sunday drivers here every day of the week nonnaB !

Parents always know best, or so they say. I was never convinced !

• 2 months later...

i remember my mam saying "its black over joes" i think that refered to looks like rain, "many a mickle make a muckle " havent a clue on this 1 ?,others she used were, " a blind man would like to see it" , " i havent seen them for yonks " "doordy pens", and the 1 i hated most was " mrs haris told me" this was said when ide been caught out doing somit i shouldnt ,and was told mrs haris told her,as a kid i searched for this bloody mrs haris for years to no avail !as a parent my self i must admit using "mrs haris told me" phrase to my kids .

• Upvote 1

i think many of the sayings origernated from the north and midland areas,as most of my ancesters came down to the south and brought them with them,and these sayings rubbed off on future generations,as im sure like me we find ourselves using phrases from our childhood,and it suddenly occurs to us,"god i sound like my mam " !

• Upvote 1

#2142 KJ. I don't remember mam saying that about being funny, but when a kettle or pan was left unattended and boiling away she would say it was 'boiling its bottom frill off'. I think this is another one of the Old Basford sayings. Either that or a saying that grandma might have brought from Bromsgrove or her time in service at Old Dalby.

I suppose 'back to square one' is what happens in some board games - you seem to be doing quite well then something happens which sends you back to the beginning again

I thought everyone knew by now what 'Back to square one' meant'. When football matches were commented on on the wireless before the war, the Radio Times used to print a picture of a pitch marked off in squares. The commentator would relate the  whereabouts on the pitch the ball was being played by quoting the reference of the relevant square. I don't know where 'square one' was - probably one of the goal areas.

Margie - you are thinking of Snakes and Ladders, lol

• Upvote 1

But 'Snakes and Ladders' doesn't always take you back to square one!  There are other board games that do actually send you back to the beginning, though, like 'Sorry' and one called 'Incy Wincy Spider' (remember in the rhyme, the spider gets washed down the water spout and has to start climbing up again) also other board games I have designed for the children/grandchildren/children I have worked with at school over the years.  One is a space game where there is a moveable black hole, made of a small piece of card, which takes you back to 'square one'.   When your opponent throws a 6, they can move the black hole to anywhere they like on the board which usually means on to one of their opponents!  Or if they are feeling kind they can choose not to do this and just move 6 forward!