Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 4 weeks later...

Two sayings from my past.  I have just spent a while trying to find on the internet,(No luck).

If things weren't going to plan etc mam would say "Oh Damn and Blast", I say it as well?

Grandma, would say eg, Oh he/she has got the "Gormonruttles" or 'It gives me the Gormonruttles"  It could have just sounded like this to me as a child, I can't find either on the internet. Has any one heard either sayings?

Carni

I often heard Damn and blast,but never heard Gormonruttles,what a strange word.

My older sister would often say 'oh for bleeds sake'

We were not allowed to swear so she made this one up maybe.

Never heard that one Carni but "heebie jeebies" seems to be a similar exclamation .

Not something that my parents said, but, when I was in the juniors at Crane school, a girl from Lancashire moved in to the area, and joined my class. Eee, she did talk funny! She taught us a saying for when she was amazed. Blinkingeckatannerpeabarmer. All said together quickly. The things you never forget! 

If you were feeling miserable  and complaining, mam would say ' gi 'oer maungin'. Alternately she would say ' what's a matter with you, seen your arse?'

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I was talking to an engineering mate of mine at work last week, (he's from Barnsley) and we was looking at some spares we needed to get a job finished, I said "well if thats all we've got It'll ave to do norrit" he asked me what "Norrit" meant,I suppose it's a shortened version of "Not it"

Rog

Where is it?   Mam, Nellies room back o clock. Dad, up my ar** first ledge on't right

What is it?  It's a wimwam fer a woozler

Weak tea.   What's this, gnats pi**?

Sisters going out.  Keep yer and on yer hapeney

Yer gorra tide mark rahnd yer nek

What's to eat? a run round the table and a kick at the pantry door

C'mere yer little bleeder

Surprise!  Well bogger me

and most of those already posted. It's almost like a second language

• Upvote 4

Don't know if this has been put on before

Gerroutroad......Move out of the way

Gerrovverit......Get over it

Swivvel eyed git.......person with eyes all over the place

I had a mate when I worked in engineering who would turn on anybody who upset him with the phrase "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your a******e". Often left a puzzled look on the face of the recipient.

• 4 weeks later...

My mum used to say "There's nowt so queer as folks" and "The more I sees  of people, the more I likes me dog". They were always said in a lighthearted way though, as she appeared to get on with everyone she met.

Is this in the right place? I don't know but,I always remember my parents among others who were going on holiday would call the house or wherever they were staying "Digs" we are staying in digs,what was the digs like?etc,where did this phrase come from,is it because way back in time you had to dig your own cave out or from WW1 you had to dig your own trench?

Any ideas

Rog