Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Katyjay, I think our mothers must have known one another, as so many of the sayings you quote were also said by my mum!  I only remember some of them when I read your posts

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First time that I've been on this topic so here goes!

If you had misbehaved your mum would say "I'll tell your dad when he come's home"

going out and in a hurry "just have a cat lick" quick wash

lose money "lost a bob and found a tanner"

mature lady bright red lip stick and nail varnish "Mutton dressed as lamb"

Scratching your bottom "are you picking your seat at the pictures"?

• 1 month later...

Sorry if these have been mentioned before.  If someone was taking you for granted she would say "Don't be a pie can".  Not even sure what a pie can is!  Another saying was "Ecky".  The meaning depended how you said it.  If you found a fiver it was ecky - said cheerfully.  If you lost a quid it was ecky - said with sorrow and sympathy.

3 minutes ago, tabbyoddsocks said:

Sorry if these have been mentioned before.  If someone was taking you for granted she would say "Don't be a pie can".  Not even sure what a pie can is!  

I don't think that's ever been mentioned anywhere,  I've never heard it before.  Where did you grow up ?  ;)

26 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I thought the term pie can came from the Manchester/Lancashire area and ecky thump also. Both were frequently used by a colleague from Burnley years ago.

As far as I know the family has no ties to that area.  Glad someone else has heard the term though ;)

On 2016-10-16 at 9:04 AM, FLY2 said:

If dad was stuck behind and dithering, bewildered and slow motorist, he'd say,

'He doesn't know whether he wants a 5hit, shave or a haircut '. I thought it was hilarious.

Feeling a bit lethargic I once said to my son "I don't know if I want a s**t, a shave or a shampoo".  He looked round my head and said "hair looks ok", then stoked my cheek and said "don't need a shave.  You'd best go to the toilet."  He ducked quickly though, in case he got a clip round the tabs!

• Upvote 2

My dad used to come out with some absolute pearlers, that'd never be allowed of today in this overprotective and cleansed PC society !

• Upvote 1

The word piecan was used regularly in our house by my farther who was from Lancashire.

If you did something daft or you got something wrong he would call you a piecan.

I always thought of it as one word and had completely forgotten about it until it was

mentioned by tabbyoddsocks.

• 1 month later...

This'll not get baby a new bonet,

Dad always said it,when being idle for a while,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...