Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

If something is right for you, do people still say "That's right up your street".  I know my mum used to say that..

2 hours ago, Commo said:

A variation on the Ms Martin derogation in our family was "All mi eye an` NELLIE Martin". Seems that there were a few sisters in the Martin family spreading nonsense and rumour!

An expression we still use at our house but we say Betty Boothroyd or Betty Grable!

If someone( like a nasty old woman neighbour) came out and shouted at us kids while we were playing( not  being a nuisance)  my Dad would come out and tell to ' get back in ',and if he was really mad he would say'Blast your bleddy eyes'no idea what he meant by that.

After coming out with a load of foul language when I were a kid,me dad shouted"Come here, I'll teach you to swear" but I already knew how to swear

he did come out with some strange things

Rog

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Yesterday, I said something I probably have never said before as I was hanging out the washing.  It was cool and windy with no sun.  I said: "I'll hang it out anyway so it can nop".   I realised that's what my mum used to say.  It meant that the washing would dry off a bit but not get completely dry. I think

Just found this lot on a Nottingham History site ( And a bit of an old fashioned one it is.. but interesting) :

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/bulwell5.htm

Bulwellisms. A number of words are in common use which are obsolete, or colloquial, or "real natives," as surree for sirrah; bargast, a contemptible boy; by leddy, by my lady; by giney, (hard g) and my hiny, for emphasis; snied out, infested; addling, earning; jos-hawk, silly; sally-fardling, dawdling; trapesing, walking aimlessly; titivating, smartening up; nesh, sensitive; galivanting, walking affectedly; nattering, peevish; happing, wrapping; pottering, poking. Have yer made (locked) the door? These, and many others, have been collected by Mr. F. J. Wilkinson.

I only ever heard 'by giney' a couple of times from my Grandma.

Interesting that  he has 'by leddy'  ( bleddy?)  as 'by my lady'.  I'd always thought 'bleddy' was just a different pronunciation of 'bloody'.

But when you get into this lot:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody

.. it seems that theories include both the 'By my lady' and the 'bloody', derived from various other sources as possible origins.

Ah wunt a guessed arfonit miduck...  eyamashed?  :blink:

One of my Mum's less ladylike expressions...

'Tidy yersen up yer look like a bag o' s**t tied in the middle!'

• Like 1

Not so much what the parents said, but 1 teenage girl to her pal. She'd hook one arm and tell her mate to 'put yer leg in bed' meaning link arms to walk together.

• 8 months later...

As a kid I went in the chip shop at the bottom of Farnborough Rd and was told they were frying new potatoes and were  a penny more. I said "Cor Blimey", the man stopped and looked as though he was going to faint. "Do you know what you've just said? -  It means God blind me".    I don't think i ever said it again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Not a parent but my nan used to say “I can’t hear you I haven’t got my glasses on

• Like 1

Strangely enough when I first started  wearing glasses I had to take them off to hear what people were saying

• 3 months later...

I used to worked with a bloke in the tool room at Smith Dennis, on Berridge road and when he were hot he used to say " he were fair mythered and if he were cold he'd  say " he were raight snatched".