Things our parents used to say

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

One of my dads favorites that one about silk purses Eric 'cos he had come from 'nowt' himsen and didn't expect us to 'over achieve' .Two of us went to university and one of us saw the world through work and pleasure,so I think he would be happy if he was still alive

Beefy, How come you chose uni and not 'work and pleasure'? Just curious. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

What a colourful young life you led Fraser built one up to be a caring person in ones community no doubt?

Bip.

Just a couple from my dear departed Mum, that might have been appropriate for a member who no longer seems to be listed!

"Little boys should be seen and not heard" and

"If you've got nowt worth saying, why don't you keep your trap shut, unless you want a clout round the ear 'ole"

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

As an ex Nottingham man, this thread brings back hundreds of memories,,,, my mothers family were from Sneinton, so almost every phrase on here was used by my dear old mam.

A word I havn't heard since leaving Nottingham in 1970,,,, is 'sucker'.

Another word which wasn't heard down here,,,,, is cheese/ham cobs,,,,, though slowly the term 'cobs' is now catching on.

It's great when my family visit as they bring the obligatory nottinghamese with them.

---:---

I bought a couple of books recently,,,,,, the first one I bought cuz I thought it was pure nottingham was "Ey Up Mi Duck",,,,, the cover states "Dialect of Derbyshire (& almost as an afterthought) and the East Midlands !

The other was "Owd ya tight",,,,, which I actually obtained down here in Cornwall.

Every now & then I use similar phrases to my Son (24) or mates, then explain why !

Great thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Baz

Just remembered: we had a shop on St Anns Well Road & a Geordie woman used to come in with her unruly kids. One day I said to one of 'em "touch that again & i'll bat ya tab". The mother looked at me quite shocked...... but she explained that it wasn't because I'd told the kid off,,,, it was because they don't use SWEAR words, "especially like that one" in front of the kids (I never did know what TABS are in GeordieLand)

• 3 weeks later...

A few gems from my old man, usually at about 2,000 decibels as he was a quarry fitter at Hoveringham Gravels and deaf as a stone;

Having walked into the house and omitted to close the door.....WAS YER BORN IN WAARSUP?

This phrase apparently hails from the late 1920's, during the General Strike; the locals of Warsop were alleged to be so poor that they had to burn the doors in their houses to keep warm!

When surveying the mess which is the natural state for a typical teenager's bedroom.....IT'S LIKE JACKIE POWNALL'S RAG SHOP IN 'ERE!

"Rammel" was junk or rubbish, and on a cold day it was "bloody taters in 'ere"; the latter, I think, coming from the expression for freezing the balls (taters) off a brass monkey.

Anyone dressed scruffily would be deemed to look "like a sack of spuds tied up in t'middle".

when someone said sommat daft, my mam would say "he's like a man i'm aunt to",,,,,,

At first I didn't understand what she was exactly saying (tho' I got the gist (?!),,,, but later on I did get to understand the words she was saying,,, still got the gist,,, but I still ain't got a clue wot she meant, or where it cum from !

any ideas ?

i also recall her saying,,,, "it's like Jackie Bells in 'ere" (mmmmmmmmm,,,, I wonder who Jackie was,,,,,,,,,)

If we left lights on in the house, my mum would say "what d'ya think this is, Blackpool Illuminations?"

Speaking of books on dialects, there was an excellent one in Stoke on Trent (where I went to college) called "Arfur Tow Crate"!

Bazzer, my mam would say 'he's like a man I'm maiden aunt to' [still don't get it though]

,,,, shame,,,, if this had popped up last year I could have asked her,,,,,

we used to reminisce a lot,,,,, and get the Bisto box out, which held the old photos,,,, we'd look at almost every picture in there before it went back in the cupboard,,, one of the earliest with me as a lad (as opposed to a baby) sitting on the back step at Elford Rise.

I very nearly sent it to another post on here about "show us ya back yard",,,,,, but ain't got the b*l*s.

Can't wait for more sayings,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our Mum, whenever asked about her age, was always "as old as me tongue but a litle bit older than me teeth".

And whenever she put on her coat to go out, she always seeme to be "off to see a man about a dog" - though she never came back with one!

Even if she had, it would have cost "money and fair words", as did almost everything else she acquired.

(Not very forthcoming sometimes, was our Mum).

And bedtime always meant we were "off up wood hill" - (staircase - no carpets either). !sleeping!

...And bedtime always meant we were "off up wood hill"...

Are you sure we aren't related? All those sound very familiar except in our house it was "up wooden 'ill to blanket fair"!

We always went up the apple and pears to bed. A friend I write to from our old Amesbury Circus days, says they were told to get to sleep before the 10 o'clock horses came round. This wasn't a saying in our house as I'd never heard of it before she told me.

Ayup Katyjay.

Me granny used to say that about the hosses, it comes from a time when the council or whoever used to come round at night with the horse and cart to empty the ash cans (old fashioned name for toilet), you wouldn't want to be chucked in with that lot would you? so "off to bed before 10 o'clock comes round"

Rog

Are you sure we aren't related? All those sound very familiar except in our house it was "up wooden 'ill to blanket fair"!

Always hoped I'd got a rich relative somewhere.

Blankets ??? Don't think we had those. Just an old eiderdown with our coats piled on top.

And no central heating or double glazing -- or even gas & electricity.

(And had to be careful where you put your feet when you got out of bed. Especially if the guzzunder hadn't been pushed fully under under the bed!

Thanks Rog for the explaination about the horses. I'll have to tell her as I don't think she knows the origin. and teebee, I'd forgotten about the guzzunder, and slopping it out of a morning. We called ours a po. Now, I wonder what that was short for, anyone?