Things our parents used to say

24 minutes ago, carni said:

Was it followed with a bat round the tab?

I always took steps to avoid that Carni... large ones in any direction away from me dad"   ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Yo can allus tell me by PM. (Your area is quite large. I lived off Valley road, on Upton drive).

ClifTon will probably explain better than me but, if you look at the top right hand corner of the page where your avatar is, next to it on the left is an envelope then a bell. If you click on the envelope symbol it will take you to the page you need. You then type in the name you wish to send to, in the white box on the left. The box below that is the title, under that is where you type your message. Does this make sense?

• 8 months later...

Here's one for being there 

Here's one for lying about not being there

And here's one that will make you cry! 

Another one ube. When we used to go swimming in Wollaton canal, mum used to say, "Don't come back here if ya get drowned".

Beekay, I remember seeing lads jumping into the canal one hot summer in the late 50s. I think they were jumping off the Old Coach Rd bridge or maybe the lock gates. I read somewhere on here that one lad drowned one year. Wasn't you was it? Lol

Hiya Mess, I don't  think it were me. I'm sure i would have known if I drowned. Did get me shoes wet though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2007 at 4:09 PM, plantfit said:

Don't come running to me if you break your leg?????

"You're not gooin' to them baths till yuv learnt to swim"!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They also used to say that there was 5 girls to every 1 bloke in Nottingham. I'm still looking for my other 4 !

That's what me doctor always says. She's still not convinced that I'm 77. "Not with skin like that !", she says.

Quite flattered really 'cos she only looks about 16.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

They also used to say that there was 5 girls to every 1 bloke in Nottingham. I'm still looking for my other 4 !

In these days of 'gender fluency', I'm not sure how that situation would now be resolved.

My Dad would come out with these sayings 

He was a bugger to his first wife.

How long have you been married? even the train robbers did not serve that lenght of time'

.If you went into a pub with my dad he would say what do you want to drink (do you want a bitter dick)

Mum when my borther and I were fighting she would say " if you two don't stop it i'll tell your dad when he gets home. 

If I was getting a wash i would turn the hot water tap on 

Mum this water's not getting hot, she would say well hold your finger there long enough and it will get warm. 

When I went out I would ask mum if I would need a coat, she would say yes! because it's going to rain or no the sun will be out soon.

I thought my mum was a very clever person, but as I got older I realised  that we had cold water which was in the pipes  befor it became hot. Also I found out that she would watch the weather forcast. So this was how mum knew if you had to take a coat with you or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone was ever caught picking their nose... (Not me obviously because I am perfect..).. my Mum would say. "Do you want a Button Hook?"

• Like 3

I used to go and stay with my cousin in Coventry.  Early 60s.  It was quite enlightening..

Being backwards down there.. they still called 'Cobs'  'Batches', and 'Suckers'.. 'Lollies'.

Mind you, 'Er Indoors' who is a Scouser..calls Cobs 'Barm Cakes', Suckers 'Lolly Ices', Carrot and Turnip 'Pot Herbs' and so on..

She also used to console our kids...on getting a graze/bruise or somesuch.. with the phrase 'Pigs Foot in the Morning'.

They're all barmy up here....