Things our parents used to say

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I reckon I'm now at an age where young people can accuse me of being one of those oldies who says strange things which the younger generation think amusing.

And the reverse of that is   "I'm at the age where young people use words and expressions the meaning of which I have no clue"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

My mother when she had had a rather personal exam at the doctor's, would say 'I think he was looking to see if my hat was on straight'.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m from across the pond. My mum was born in Nottingham and came here when she was 19. She brought her sayings with her and passed them along. I remember many of her sayings, but my favorites were:

He’s like a wooden man made of smoke. 

She looks like she’s been pulled through a hedge backwards.

Don't think this is a parent saying but good advice,

When I first married the master in the year of our lord 1965 my mother in law Gertie said "Never let them know what you have in your purse gal"  and to this day master still doe's not know what's in mine. ps it's a secret.

Now come on B  :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...

My father's stock reply to my questions about where he was going was always, "Long Eaton!"

A slight variation on the man with a dog retort cropped up when I got a bee in my bonnet about possibly being adopted. A girl at school had been adopted and had no idea who her biological parents were. I thought this was wonderful, fascinating and began to wonder if I'd been adopted and my parents just hadn't told me. 

I must have become rather a nuisance for pestering them to tell me the truth about my origins because my mother advised me to go and look in the mirror (I was the image of my father) and dad quipped, "I'm sorry to disappoint you but you're ours. When you were a baby, I did try to swap you for a dog but the man who owned the dog said he wasn't interested because the dog was better looking!" :wacko:. Well, I suppose I asked for that one.

• Like 3

If my parents or grandparents wanted to refer to a place which they didn't know about, or didn't want to talk about, they would always say they were going to (or been to) Timbuktu.

For years I assumed it was a name they'd made up, and I was surprised to eventually discover it was a real place.

• Like 1