Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

My mother always said that dressing smartly and looking well-groomed was very important but the effect was often ruined when the smart, well-groomed person opened their mouth. It's true. I know we shouldn't judge a book by the cover but, like it or not, many of us have been conditioned to expect that someone who looks the part will also sound the part.

Incidentally, the junior drama teacher at The Cooperative Arts Theatre in the 1960s was Phyllis Blackwell who lived in Whitby Crescent, which I believe forms part of posh Woodthorpe.

I was born in Surrey and moved to Bestwood Estate when I was 7, I had no choice about it my Mother made me move. My accent was completely different and I was soon made aware of it on starting School, school kids can be cruel and they were, my life at one stage was unbearable but as I had 5 elder sisters who could more than hold there own in battles with boys life soon became bearable. Living in Bestwood and knocking around in Bulwell people my accent soon changed to enable me to converse with the locals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, trogg said:

I was born in Surrey and moved to Bestwood Estate when I was 7, I had no choice about it my Mother made me move. My accent was completely different and I was soon made aware of it on starting School, school kids can be cruel and they were, my life at one stage was unbearable but as I had 5 elder sisters who could more than hold there own in battles with boys life soon became bearable. 

What were your sisters names Trogg?.......i must have known em..

Sorry Trogg forgot your surname.......

I was also ragged when at Berridge because I spoke differently. My mother thought speaking correctly was very important and I was already involved with The Cooperative Arts Theatre, where we were taught breathing control, voice projection and correct diction. It was all most useful in adult life but attracted snide comments at both Berridge and Manning. Not that it bothered me.

I moved from Nottingham to the Northern Home Counties when I married a Southern lad who all my friends thought was ‘posh’ because of his accent. Our two sons were born and continue to live down there and speak with a lovely southern accent.  In the 30 years that I lived in Beds, Bucks and Herts my accent remained the same, for me to say “barth” or “parth” sounded ridiculous to me. My favourite regional accent is Geordie, we’ve employed a lot of men from the North East over the years, all lovely guys. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

What were your sisters names Trogg?.......i must have known em..

Here we go! Young Trogg, I want your word as a gentleman that you won't go steaming round to Ben's and smack him in the mouth...twice!

• Like 2

I've got an old friend who was born within the sound of Bow Bells - a true Cockney. He's a very bright 'geezer'; the chairman of a machinery company and he has a university degree. To hear him speak he sounds just like the landlord of the Queen Vic in Eastenders. You can't just judge someone by their accent. Just listen to Alan Sugar!

I think accents has been discussed here previously. Accents and little sayings used to be very local. Radford was different from other districts that were quite close. My grandfather from Daybrooke had a quite distinct accent. Eastwood too was and still is different. We’d say alright ME duck. whereas I still hear MY duck there. Now though it’s all very different init fam.

LizzieM. I tend to say Barth not bath but I don’t know why. Certainly not posh.

My brother, (God rest him) used to say I'd 'gone posh' after living in the South for a number of years, because I no longer said cowd but cold and tried to put my aitches in the right place. But it were only so the locals could understand me. I still get, "you're not from around here are you". I try to say you instead of 'yo. But I still make em laugh when I say 'booket' (bucket) and I show my boos pass (bus). Used to love going in a chippie and ask for "pie n mixed'. They hadn't a clue what I were asking for. Then there's the old favourite, "Ay yer mashed"?

• Like 1

Yo stand need ta talk Ian. You're fousands of miles away.

Think I'd rather join yo 'n learn Reginarese. Wot d'yo think?

31 minutes ago, woody said:

My grandad used to say the most important opinion was the one that others had of you, not the one you had of yourself as you were bias.

How very true Woody.  

6 hours ago, woody said:

It is always important to listen to what people say and not just the way they say it. Many who have posh accents can talk fluent crap as well as those with regional accents.

Oh Woody that is so so true. Politicians being a prime example.

Russell Brand also springs to mind. I wouldn’t say he's posh but he tries to sound eloquent and educated when he's simply a knob.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Who needs thermal underwear? Im not one of your Southern Jessies .

Who needs underwear?

We moved from Nottingham to Surrey when our 2 eldest were 5 and almost 3. They soon picked up that accent and we didn't.  9 years later and a 3rd child speaking 'Surrey' we moved to Arizona.  The kids soon picked up this accent to fit in. So we have never really had the same accent as our kids. Admittedly,  our Nottingham accent has gone, but it's still very English.

• Like 2