Things our parents used to say

14 hours ago, Beekay said:

Ooh Mess, does that mean you're inclined towards going Commando?  :ninja:

Only with button up flies Beekay. Zip flies can be disastrous when you've no kecks on.

Every man deserves a well aired scrotum.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Tried pegging it on the washing line? :rolleyes:

They're not detachable you know Jill, well mines not, besides I think the neighbours would complain.

• Like 1
On 2/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Perrorist.......I moved your post into an existing thread where it fits along with others of a similar subject. Unfortunately, due to technical complications (i.e. I screwed up) your original heading has been lost, which included an explanation of what you were talking about. 

If you can repeat your original heading here, I'll re-insert it back into your opening post. 

It was: My mother would often say (in dialect), “If you want summat doing, do it yoursen.”

• 3 weeks later...

Some folk have mentioned mon't meaning must not but is it usual in Nottingham to say wain't for will not, or was that a Newark thing?  l don't think l have heard anybody say wappy for many years, meaning eleven pence to the shilling or not quite all there.

My Mum used to describe some people as not having much of a come-from. l think this just meant the family was poor but l was never entirely sure whether it meant there was some illegitimacy involved.

l have never heard anybody except my Grandma say they didn't own to somebody, so if she didn't recognise somebody you were describing she would say she didn't own to him or her.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2007 at 6:04 AM, katyjay said:

Just look at the back of your neck, I could grow potatoes in that muck.

My dad , you gungy get , and me grandma you've got a tidemark round yer neck !!

On 2/6/2022 at 7:46 AM, Mess said:

Only with button up flies Beekay. Zip flies can be disastrous when you've no kecks on.

Every man deserves a well aired scrotum.

Who remembers those snake belts we used to wear and bright red cheap clarks shoe sandals ?

• 1 month later...

My parents grew up in Lancashire and Cumberland. They never lost their accents. I lost mine fairly quickly as I was only 5 and my brother 2. My brother picked up Nottinghamese but I didnt, although my next door neighbour in R.O.T used to say that her husband knew when she'd been talking to me because although she was from Lichfield she had picked up certain words and expressions. Its so easy to pick up expressions. I have picked up loads in Italian that dont make sense in English or sound silly. Also some words come out automatically in certain situations. :rolleyes:

When i was a child my grandma had a big old sideboard in her front parlour as she called it which had a top drawer that was always locked, i used to ask her whats in here mamar & always got the same answer which was layers for meddlars, in other words none of your business, have never heard this saying again so just curious to know if anyone else has heard it & where it may come from.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It rained yesterday afternoon,  lightly at first,  but then so heavy, the noise of it was louder than the telly. I said to hubby, it's tazzing down. Obviously you can take the girl out of Nottingham but not Nottingham out of the girl! I surprise myself sometimes with my old sayings.

• Like 1
On 2/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

My grandfather used to say 'mon't' as opposed to mustn't. I have never heard anyone else use the term. He was Nottingham born, although his parents were from Leicestershire.

All my older relatives used to say it..........come to think of it..i still do.............

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Gerrout way, yer wern't made at Pilkingtons

Often said when I got between mum and the wrestling or dad and the horse racing on  t'telly.

In our house it was, you make a better door than a window.

• Like 1