Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

When they yelled you and they used your middle name too...then you knew it was trouble.

Haven't got a MIDDLE name....so I never knew when 'it' was coming.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does "clobber" have more than one meaning?

When I was younger, people would ask " What clobber ya wearin"? meaning what clothes are you putting on, but it also means being beaten, as in "We were clobbered" as in sport, or "I was clobbered" as in personally beaten or hit.

• 3 weeks later...
You'd better goo ta sleep afore ten o clock osses come rahnd.

What the bloody hell was all that about?

Roger

I dont know if this has been covered already but this saying comes from my neck of the woods... namely Bestwood country park.

I dont have a reference to hand but i remember the story (i think all the kids that grew up here heard that saying.)

As the story goes there is (still there to this day and possibly dating back to the times of Nell Gwynn) some horse stables within Bestwood country park. One night they loaded the horses (or 'osses as we say round ere) up to be transported somewhere. On the journey they were involved in an accident whereas all the horses died... at around 10pm.

It has since been said that at 10pm the sound of horses galloping through Bestwood country park can be heard (we all heard this from our parents, but since then i have actually seen other sources that confirm this ghost story.)

It used to scare the shite out of me when i was a kid living so close to the park... and truth be told i dont think id ever wander in there at that time because its now imprinted in me:

The Ten o'clock 'osses will get yer!

Classic.

Also nothing to do with sayings but it is also said that on the first day of summer you can smell fresh oranges in the park even though none grow there anymore. Apparently this comes from the legend that old Nell herself used to go out into the park and pick them.

Theres many more ghost stories like that linked to this place although i guess this isnt the place to put em... still scared the living daylights out of us when we were kids!

• 3 weeks later...

While we're on the subject of parsons, mam would say [for example] she's got more shoes than a parson ever preached about.

If someone was always 'on the front row' when things were happening, mam would say 'he's not backward at coming forward'

• 8 months later...

my nana always used to say to me, when I wouldn't take my coat off as a kid.

"If you don't take your coat off now, you won't feel the benefit!"

"It's a bit black over Bill's mothers"

and they used to know someone called Bill, lol

"Just Gowen daan the Beer-off" (Beer-off means corner shop) anyone else use that one still? :)

Bobbo's - horses. my family always used that one too,lol

Mardy, too. :)

When I worked at the Co-Op, we had a Beer Off as part of the store - we didn't fill beer bottles, but we did sell "loose" Sherry and Port - either by the pint, half-pint or bottle!

I believe the term "Beer Off" came from the term "Off License" - which was the license to sell beer, wine and spirits for consumption "off" the premises.

That sounds a bit too snooty for the Grasmere Road CoOp shopper!

Sorry to be pedantic Thomlinson me owd mucka, burrits pronounced

"Yuv gorra maaahf like parish uvun"

Sorry to be pedantic Thomlinson me owd mucka, burrits pronounced

"Yuv gorra maaahf like parish uvun"

Sorry about that. Being in Norfolk, I should have said, 'He go'a mowth loike a perish even'.