Things our parents used to say

You better believe it Poo! Them in Brummie land couldn't understand us at one time, and them Geordie kids thought we were from a different country when their miner Dads migrated to the Notts pits!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

This one you coudnt make up!!! Who can remember the days when you wrote your shopping order out, the kids would drop it into the Co-op and a few days later the Child labour would bring your shopping to you on the shop bike with a basket on the front! My Ex Mum in Law (Bless her) used to write on her order "A packet of nice biscuits" as in something lovely with chocolate or cream on them. Of course every week when she got her order delivered she used to moan that they had sent the same packet of horrible biscuits again, "They do that every week" she says, "I ask for a packet of nice biscuits and they send these plain ones with sugar on them"

I cant even look at a packet of "Nice" biscuits now without having a chuckle!!

!rotfl! !rotfl! !rotfl!

Who can remember the days when you wrote your shopping order out, the kids would drop it into the Co-op and a few days later the Child labour would bring your shopping to you on the shop bike with a basket on the front!

I was one of those lads! Loved it and have many happy memories of riding my order bike around Long Eaton. However, there was one lady who, once a month or so, would have on her order "one box of super tampax" - for which we had to go to the, all female staffed, soft-goods dept. next door - and ASK for it! It struck fear in the heart of a 13 year-old I can tell you!

I rode a shop bike too...nearly killed me as I was a tiny lad....All for a shilling an hour.Aspley lane is one of the longest hills on the planet...or seemed to be with an overloaded basket.

Can you remember an old TV advert for "Personna" razor blades? in the advert the guy would tell you that Personna blades lasted 5 times longer than xxxxx blades the name of the other blades being dubbed over with the word or sound "cuckoo" any way sent ex Ma in law to the Coop on Broxtowe lane for a packet of Cuckoo razor blades, the old dear in the coop said "no such thing" to which Ma in law replied " oh yes there is because they were advertised on TV last night" we had a laugh about that for ages bless her

Rog

I wrote in my composition "I nipped to fetch some nobbies - the teacher put a ring around nobbies attached a note saying -correct! So I did and I put knobbies, she said I was insolent and gave me a discredit, took me a long long time to figure this one out.

However, there was one lady who, once a month or so, would have on her order "one box of super tampax" - for which we had to go to the, all female staffed, soft-goods dept. next door - and ASK for it!

In the mid-1960's, used to get sent down to Thurgarton post office ( before the shop on the crossroads was built) to fetch a packet of "Doctor Whites" for me mam. Mrs. Reeve at the post office would always wrap the packet in brown paper and seal it with tape, presumably so's no-one would know what it was!

Can't help wondering how our parents' generation would cope with some of the adverts on the telly at the moment!

• 3 months later...

I told someone last week that my socks had gone to bed. She said 'what does that mean?' I didn't realise it was something I hadn't said in a while. [like, since I was a kid]

Oh yes, Kath, why don`t socks do that any more? Mine did it all the time when I was a kid. Made yer heels sore!

What about telling somebody that their underskirt was showing, "Charlie`s dead." Anybody remember that?

I told someone last week that my socks had gone to bed.

That's a blast from the past! I haven't heard it since the early 1960s. Completely forgotten it; I'd hear it from my parents and grandparents

I suppose back then boys were likely to be wearing short trousers, so sleeping socks were more noticeable

Eileen, if I remember rightly, there wasn't much elastic in the tops of cotton socks in our childhood and it was hard to keep them in place sometimes. It was much better when long white socks came out and you could put a garter round the tops. The white knee socks must have come out while I was in senior school [late 50's] whereas the boys had knee socks for ages before that. They needed them with their short trousers. I don't think they could wear long trousers till the senior school?

• 2 weeks later...

I always remember me mam used to say "As dim as a Toc H lamp", about anyone who was, shall we say, intellectually challenged...

I never really knew what Toc H was. I guess they were an organisation like the Buffs, although I'm guessing. I know someone on here will know for sure.

I'm sure there used to be a branch on Wilford Road. I do recall a lamp outside the building that reminded me of the old police lamps (Dixon of Dock Green always stood under one to introduce the show).

It's more an organization founded to put a bit of fellowship back in the world, IE helping old folk with their shopping , hospital visits for folks who have no one to visit them and fund raising for the needy.

IMMSC it was founded during the first world war , in Belgium to help refugees.

Not sure about the origins of the saying "Dim as a Toc H lamp" but on their emblem is an "Aladdin" style lamp, not exactly renowned for their illuminating skills !!

• 4 weeks later...

Hubby said something surprising today, my answer - Well damn my rags.

I haven't heard that one in a while, it's something my mam said.