Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 3 months later...

i'm familiar with most of the sayings so far, im 34 and find a few of me mams words coming out my mouth now and again, much to the bemusement of my southerner hubby!

Heres a few that spring to mind, im certain i'll think of many more!

Sh1t wi sugar on was often on the menu in our house.( ? )

family members were always and still are called "our" ~ as in our darren said, or our steve was ect. (s'pose this is quite common)

Mum (MAM) often has the problem of people who have "looked at her gone out" ( vacant expression )

I being the youngest often had to sit on the dogs shelf! ( the floor )

referred to people has "looking like a bag of sh1t tied up" (?)

geehoover ~ stop it

whayagooinonwi ? ~ what are you doing?

stop Rawkin ~ stop scratching.

Mum grew up in OLD RADFORD ~ HAROLD ROAD ( Shhhhushhh...She still has the old cast iron street sign, that my brothers hung out the bedroom window to get, before the houses were demolished. she worked at marathon knitwear, She's still alive (74 )and still talks alot in "Old Radford" as she calls it. She has lived in the same house down the green for the last 34 years

My Dad was from hooknul, but died a few years back now, so i grew up with an interesting mix of dialect! yowff. He work down pit.

Welcome Larkin

Your mother could add some interestin stuff also.

I lived in Norton Street Radford early to late 60s

As k your mum if she knew the security man at Marathon mid 70s?

I think he was called Ron?

I once heard someone from Eastwood say, just before she put her shared picnic away on a trip to Ladies Day at Ascot, 'Anybody want anything else before i screw me leg off?'. Never heard that one!!

That one made me laugh - sometimes if I want my wife to give me a lift somewhere (in the car, sorry), I'll say "gizza croggy" - at which she looks at me "gone out".

Americans.... what can you do eh?

Welcome Larkin

Your mother could add some interestin stuff also.

I lived in Norton Street Radford early to late 60s

As k your mum if she knew the security man at Marathon mid 70s?

I think he was called Ron?

I asked my mum today if she could remember the security guards name, she couldn't sorry, She used to try and avoid the security guards as much as possible!....I let you draw your own conclusion to that one.

She grew up in Radford, in the clinton pub (?) i think she said, some where near alfred st central ? moved to harold road around 1957 until 1976/77.

She made dresses for local women to make extra money from home, mentioned a Mrs Crawley, who i believe owned a few properties in the area. Steves Cafe had a phone and many people gave the number, if they got calls, and a young lad would come and tell ya if someone was on the phone for you.

Shes got some photos somewhere, but then she has lots of photos, shes always taken lots of photos, so could be some time before she ever found them!!

Forgot to add,

i think we've all hear the saying mutton dressed as lamb, well she remebers a add on that ive not heard before....

Mutton dressed as Lamb, but alright wi a bit of mint sauce!.....?

Was there a Clinton pub as well as the Clinton Arms opposite the fire station?

Photographs are always of interest, even images of people which show Nottingham street views.

Ive just read elsewhere that the Boulevard pub is being converted into a mosque ? Surely not...Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I will ask my mum to confirm which pubs she lived in as a kid, although it wouldnt of been the clinton Arms down basford.

She just called the pub the Clinton, and i think it was on Clinton Street?

Sorry to be a little vague, but these were just snippets of what she was talking about.

• 1 month later...

How many beans make 5 , 2 beans a bean a bean & a half & half a bean

F*** me on a ragmans trumpet

Shut your GOB.... Mouth

Sticks like S**** to a blanket......... self explanitory

Wood in hole ...... Shut the door

Back end of a tram smash ... she looks terrible

Knocking shop ....... Never went lol

Horse is bolting ..... Flys down

I do remember coming a cropper on my bike fetching my dads beer from the offy string bag went in front wheel

I f Mam was knitting, and we asked what was she making, she would answer " A Whim- Wham for a Duck`s Bottom "

Also if she thought something was far fetched she would say " It`s all my eye and Betty Martin" http://www.worldwide.../qa/qa-all3.htm

Also if we asked where something was she replied " Back of the Cow sheds at Digby "

other local sayings " I`ll bat yer tabs " (Ears )

Tuffehs ( Sweets )

Nesh (You can`t stand the Cold )

Code ( Cold )

Gleg ( Have a look )

Gis a Swag ( Give me a drink )

Poss ( purse )

Bost ( Burst ) Or Bostin ( Want a pee )

Chiking ( Peeping )

Fate ( Fight )

I asked my mum today if she could remember the security guards name, she couldn't sorry, She used to try and avoid the security guards as much as possible!....I let you draw your own conclusion to that one.

She grew up in Radford, in the clinton pub (?) i think she said, some where near alfred st central ? moved to harold road around 1957 until 1976/77.

She made dresses for local women to make extra money from home, mentioned a Mrs Crawley, who i believe owned a few properties in the area. Steves Cafe had a phone and many people gave the number, if they got calls, and a young lad would come and tell ya if someone was on the phone for you.

Shes got some photos somewhere, but then she has lots of photos, shes always taken lots of photos, so could be some time before she ever found them!!

Alfred Street Central was the old St Anns area, not Radford, I was brought up.....err dragged up in that area from as far back as I remember to when I was about 13. Mostly near or on Alfred Street South. My Gran lived off Alfred Street Central for years before she got the "moving lust" That's in the 1950's.

Could be Eileen...