katyjay

Things our parents used to say

NewBasfordlad    2,302

All my eye Betty Martin could originate from several places one explanation is that 'all my eye' meaning rubbish was the favourite saying of a 18th century Londoner called Betty Martin but there quite a few other theories.

loppylugs    4,826

Ave bin messin arahnd all mornin ' an' nerry a pot washed.

Get yer 'air cut, yer robbin' the barber!

katyjay    3,301

If you needed a haircut in our house, mam would say, if you don't get it cut soon, someone will stick a violin in your hand. 

• Like 1

Commo    766

A variation on the Ms Martin derogation in our family was "All mi eye an` NELLIE Martin". Seems that there were a few sisters in the Martin family spreading nonsense and rumour!

MargieH    3,347

If something is right for you, do people still say "That's right up your street".  I know my mum used to say that..

philmayfield    517
2 hours ago, Commo said:

A variation on the Ms Martin derogation in our family was "All mi eye an` NELLIE Martin". Seems that there were a few sisters in the Martin family spreading nonsense and rumour!

An expression we still use at our house but we say Betty Boothroyd or Betty Grable!

crankypig    339

If someone( like a nasty old woman neighbour) came out and shouted at us kids while we were playing( not  being a nuisance)  my Dad would come out and tell to ' get back in ',and if he was really mad he would say'Blast your bleddy eyes'no idea what he meant by that.

katyjay    3,301

We had that last saying in our house Loppy. Also if someone was talking rubbish, what a load of eyewash.

loppylugs    4,826

We had your second saying too, KJ.  I wonder if they ca,me out of the navy.  Me dad was a sailor. ;)

catfan    8,746

My mother used to say "Stop Chinning" when we talked to much.

• Like 1

plantfit    2,584

After coming out with a load of foul language when I were a kid,me dad shouted"Come here, I'll teach you to swear" but I already knew how to swear

he did come out with some strange things

Rog

• Like 1

MelissaJKelly    1,947

Reading through these I have to say, they've given me a right chuckle. Some very odd and peculiar sayings around that's for sure! 

• Like 1