Things our parents used to say

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

• 2 months later...

'Ere, this looks lahke Jacky Pownalls

Meaning the room/house/shed/etc was a mess

I looked up Jacky Pownalls and he was a well known scrap merchants and rag and bone fella around my Gran's place somewhere near (old and demolished) Dennet Street

I knew John Pownall. He was of the same family but I don't know if he was the son or nephew of Jackie. He died last year aged 84. He was a director of Mcintyres Scrap Metal at Dunkirk and also owned Ruddington Grange Golf Club. I knew him through the flying club. He was a very wealthy man and he bought himself an ex RAF Jet Provost. He had to find an RAF instructor to teach him how to fly it! He kept it at Tollerton.

• 2 months later...

I've just found this topic so got to share this one with you - I know you'll all get it.  Nottingham people call Brussell Sprouts nobby greens, right (I think it's pretty unique). Well once our mam sent me off to BP Greengrocers to get a bag of them, "hey, aah Janet bring me a nob of baggy greens.  It still makes me smile.  I've told many people who then give me that "back to the ward, dear" look.  I guess if you're not from round 'ere it dunna make sense.

I quite like baggy greens, especially stir fried with bamboo shoots etc.

Keep up the good work UM. 

Yo can tek the lad outa Nottingham but yo carnt tek Nottingham out the lad.

Anyroad, wots where I live got to do wi  owt?  I lived at Sherwood once.

• Upvote 1

Jackie Pownall's was a common expression in our house too.

As was 'Looks like Narrer Marsh in eer'

Also.. if it got a bit crowded and loud it was like 'Casey's Court'.

In other news...

'He's got a belly like a poisoned pup'

'Eyes are bigger than his belly'

My mum ( Lancashire lass) used to say if anything was dirty or untidy that it looked like a middin. 

The middin man is coming ( dustbin men)

Bet no-one has heard or used the following expression which I came out with last week.  It’s something.my mum used to say about washing on the clothes line when it’s been blown by the wind but it’s not really bone dry.

She used to say ‘it’s nopped’

She came from north Notts

Oz, my mum lived in Saundby near Gainsborough.  She lived there from

1902 until the mid 1930s so a relatively small community at that time.

Anyway, , my washing nopped quite nicely last week with lots of wind but no sun!!

12 hours ago, MargieH said:

Oz, my mum lived in Saundby near Gainsborough

Margie that's almost Lincolnshire so it is probably a Lincolnshire dialect. A word like beeling for crying, a word an aunt of mine used that lived near Boston.

Do people still use Mardy or Leery (spelling).?

It used to crease me up when we first moved Dahn Sarf, when I used to ask, " Ayer mashed"? They thought I were talking about potatoes.

I do BK. I left Nottingham 53/54 ago ,but still say Mardy and Leery. Hope to still be saying them for many more years. In fact , husband has just been acting leery as we speak. Wassak,springs to mind. slywinkI say Wassak often, but no idea how to spell it?:rolleyes:

As a youngster I never understood what I did to warrant my mam telling dad "he's been a bogger up the back".

Brew, That one was one of my mams favourites, we still say it. Probably means you had been a naughty boy. Was it followed with a bat round the tab? 

I must explain. We googled Wassack and panicked for a moment. It seems it can be rude, depending on which description you read. Glad to say, our use of it is a Northern slang for idiot. :biggrin: Edited to say, Twerp. OOps Hope Twerp int swearing.