Did anyone play a game that we called Hot Rice ?

usually in the school playground, at the start everyone stood in a large circle with there legs apart, a tennis ball was tossed into the middle and whoevers legs the ball ran under was ON, that person then had to throw the ball at others if it hit them then they were ON as well and teamed up, the game went on until all had been hit

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

Did anyone play a game that we called Hot Rice ?

I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it, but I definitely remember that game. It could end up being quite painful, because having a tennis ball thrown at you by several kids at close quarters was not a pleasant experience.

Not so much a game, more of a young boys council estate pastime........................take a stalk of privet hedge, about 8 inches long, remove the leaves & bend into a loop, holding the 2 ends between finger & thumb.

Then find spiders webs, use the loop to 'catch' the web, repeat on other webs (loads of 'em on privet) until you have so many that when you let go of the ends the web held the loop together.

Next (& final) step, find girls & chase them with the 'webstick'...................................innocent fun, & very cheap..................

• 1 month later...

The way we played Hedgehopping was you had to make it too a certain point without useing the streets ,But we had to dive over the hedges but wern't allowed to look before we leaped. Dogs & Cold frames made it interesting to say the least.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

In the absence of any snow for sledging, we used to put an old book, usually something like an old Radio Fun annual, on top of a roller skate and go like hell down Great Freeman street before stopping by the ploy of falling off round about Hedley Street.

My Dad used to use a skate board at work (Players circca 1944) his job was carrying bales of tobbacco from the strores the the machines. How true this next bit is I don't know , but seeing as how my Dad wasn't reknowned for telling 'porkies' I'll let him have the benefit of the doubt.

He told me they were a bit bigger than the ones kids have nowadays and there was a ramp down the sides of the starcase that they used to ride down with the bales on board the board as it were.

I know this isn't exactly what you are referring to, but it's in the general area http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Remember them well, when I worked at JP's, bins full of warm tobacco & also some to catch the stalks taken from the processing, this was known as 'Winnower' (no idea why) if my memory serves........................us lads used to 'race' the bins, which could 'turn on a tanner'...................great fun, but a rollockin' if you got caught!!

• 1 month later...

Anyone play at "Film Stars"?

The one who was "on" stood at one side of the street, all the others on the opposite side, and them as was "on" would shout out the initials of a film star. If one of the players thought they knew who it was they would run to the other side of the street, back again and then back to whisper the name (sounds complicated but simple really)! If the guess was correct, it was their turn to be on.

If you were crafty, some might say cheat, you could change your mind if someone guessed, and substitute another star with the same initials. DD was my favourite; I could think of a lot of stars with initials DD!

Yep! That was the one, though most kids knew that so my back-ups were Doris Day, Deanna Durbin, Dan Dailey, Dan Duryea and to try to make it even more difficult, Donald Duck! Must be some more, I'll be thinking on them tonight. I know how to pass my time profitably!

• Upvote 1

But why did we call it "Dobby" when the rest of the world called it "tag"?

I think it goes along with "suckers" actually being "iced lollies"!

In Lincolnshire we called it 'tiggy'. Dobby for tiggy, suckers for iced lollies and kali for sherbet where some of the new words I had to get used to when we moved to Nottingham in 1959.

There was something we played in the school playground called Relievio (spelling?). Can't remember the details now, but it was something where everybody stood in a line side by side with hands on each others shoulders - and did the person who was 'on' touch the end person and they were allowed to leave the line? Like I said - can't remember. Does it mean anything to anyone? As I've mentioned in another post, this was at Bluebell Hill.

I remember the game but not how it was played.

My first saturday picture show at the Cavendish, I was told I must have a 'Sucker' as I had never had one before.

Then found it to be an Ice Lolly.

Funny how names change over the years too, my generation it was called ticky (I was living in Notts then ) my children called it "blocking".......wonder what their children will call it?

Someone mentioned British Bulldog-Our version was everyone bar one would line up on one side of the playground and the 'one' had to stop people running across to the other side. Obviously, at first only one person would get caught so then it was 2 versus the rest. Eventually you would have 10 or 15 trying to stop the last few crossing from side to side.

Bit like rugby but on concrete!

Don't suppose it's played much now coz by time you've put on your protective helmet, knee and elbow pads, done a risk assessment and found 5 adults to supervise playtime would be over!!

• Upvote 1

i remember at ashwell st learnin blue bird blue bird through my window think we did it to start with teacher or dinner lady but would do it in the playground on our own anyone else remember this

Yes I remember that. In the playground we used to hold hands in a circle and raise our arms up. Whoever was the Bluebird used to weave in and out until the words "pat a little girl upon her shoulder" after the verse both of them used to do the weaving and so on. Also played Farmers in his Den, Oranges and lemons, and the Big Ship sails down the ally-ally-o