• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well I've played the fool, and acted the clown!

• 3 months later...

As kids we used to put dining chairs together and make a bus.  We could play for ages, taking it in turns to be the driver and conductor.  One Xmas I had a bus conductor's outfit for a present and it included a ticket machine like this:

31226304740_651db1e36c_h.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey, you're a bundle of fun RR. 

It reminded me of something said on Top Gear many years ago regarding the pranks the three presenters played on each other.

"It's all harmless fun till someone gets hurt, then it becomes hilarious ".

• 1 month later...

Winter warmers are something I will never forget! My friends showed me how with a National Dried Milk tin. Light the tinder spin it round and it makes a great hand warmer they said. Tried it and ARGHHH... burnt hands, a perfect imprint of the paint from the tin on my palms and four hysterical 'friends' 

Did you ever put rose hips (itchybacks) down the girls necks? or a nut or bolt in a tobacco tin with some daddy longs, girls loved the smell..

Spirit tapping involved an industrial sized cotton reel and you tied each knocker with two lines at an angle. As a car went through each door got two raps. It was great fun till dad went through on his bike. He stopped to get rid of the cotton he'd gathered and of course as he pulled it rapped some more. All the neighbours could see was this bloke in the middle of the street pulling on cotton and making the knockers rap their doors. They were not best pleased, father even less so. No sense of humour some people.

Did 'one potato' at the top of Nottintone Place. Gather in a circle, both fists in and someone start -one potato two... err weren't you supposed to holding the pram with your baby brother in it? Damn thing took off like an Exocet missile straight for the main road. Some guy bless him hurled himself across the road in front of a bus and stopped it in the nick of time. It was quite a long time before I could sit down.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Dad told me of a game they played as kids.  Put a small log/branch on the ground with another going across at right angles (bit like a see-saw).  Put a stone on the downward end, stamp on the upper one, and then whack the stone with another stick as it came down.  We tried it with my Scouts a few years back but had to stop as there were too many mishaps!  (Elf and safety and all that),

At Scouts we also played glow stick throwing.  Tie a glow stick (crack light/snap light) on a bit of string. Whirr it round (like a big wheel) and then let go - see which went highest.  Had to be careful when it came down though - it bloody hurt if it hit you on the head.

• 2 months later...

Some interesting stuff on there I thought,I think people were more sociable then or people did more group things then, or am I wearing rose tinted glasses again

Rog

I don't know if it's the start of a series but I won't be bothering again. Pigeon fanciers/racers, bingo players, Corrie-addicts, grown-up folk dressing as cowboys and Indians, radio hams and a bloke whose hobby was photographing telecom masts. Gimme a break.