KatyJay. Are you still around?

We played Rum, stick-a-bum on our street. We split the kids into two teams. One kid was a kind of stop against a fence or something solid with the legs open and the rest one by one bent over, put their head between the legs with the shoulders against the legs of the kid in front. Forming something like a caterpillar. Then the other team one by one would run as fast as they could and jump as high as they could to landing on the back of the caterpillar trying to make it collapse. The team that was able to bear the must kids on their backs before it collapsed was the winner. As has been mentioned the cry was: Rum, stick-a -bum, here I come.

• Like 1
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

Welcome PJSChilwell,

Yes! but we called it Husky Fusky Finger or Thumb. If the first kid who was bending over with his head against the "pillow" (the kid with his back to the fence) missed the pillow he often got his head caught in the school railings and we needed the fire brigade to get him out as the railings back in the sixties were steel not aluminium.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to love playing skipping,where the rope was across the street,a kid would be at each end turning the rope as others'ran in'usually to some sort of rhyme.One I remember which wouldn't be very pc now went like this.

I KNOW A  N..GER BOY,HE WAS DOUBLE JOINTED,GAVE ME A KISS AND I WAS DISSAPOINTED  ,HE GAVE ME ANOTHER TO MATCH THE OTHER,HOW MANY KISSES DID HE GIVE YOU....THEN THE ROPE WOULD BE SPEEDED UP AS THEY COUNTED HOW MANY YOU COULD DO BEFORE TRIPPING ON THE ROPE.

All good fun and never meant to be racist.

We also used to run through the turning rope... one way was 'under the sun' when the rope was turning towards you; the  other way was 'over the stars' when the rope was turning away from you - that way was more difficult!

We used to do that when we were skipping by ourselves ....the rhyme was 'salt, vinegar, mustard, pepper'. It was a single jump for the first three then a double -O for 'pepper'

Can you remember the one when you were all skipping with one long rope ,you all had to try to keep going and not stop the rope which was turned by someone at each end.?

There was a rhyme,

ALL IN TOGETHER GIRLS,NEVER MIND THE WEATHER GIRLS,WHEN I CALL YOUR BIRTHDAY YOU MUST RUN OUT..,then they would call out all the months of the year and you had to run out without stopping the rope.

• Upvote 1

crankypig and Margie, I remember both of the skipping games you have mentioned. The double o game, used to keep us fit, we tried to see who could do the most. We must have had some good leg muscles in those days.

Then along came the Hula-Hoop and that gave us those tiny little waists we had in our teens. I absolutely loved the hoop,  Probably do me good to take it up again?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
14 hours ago, MargieH said:

We used to do that when we were skipping by ourselves ....the rhyme was 'salt, vinegar, mustard, pepper'. It was a single jump for the first three then a double -O for 'pepper'

This one's not a game but still a playthingeda709459d90a7158c93fab8cc8739c6.jpg.a8be38217a0b281321bccab674021d18.jpg

• Like 4

Gem, that is amazing!  Thanks for posting the picture.  Can we see the other houses as well, please?  I think they're not playthings for very little children..... 

15 hours ago, MargieH said:

Gem, that is amazing!  Thanks for posting the picture.  Can we see the other houses as well, please?  I think they're not playthings for very little children..... 

That might be the only one Margie, have tried to post more but am unable to do,  why no idea will keep trying.  Wish it was as easy as sending pics through email, thank you for you lovely comment on my hallway.

Gem

Gem, I don't know how you have the patience and manual dexterity to make all this tiny stuff!   Is the bucket made from a thimble?

27 minutes ago, MargieH said:
31 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Gem, I don't know how you have the patience and manual dexterity to make all this tiny stuff!   Is the bucket made from a thimble?

The bucket was a purchase Margie working with metal is beyond me, the little shop that goes with the front has shelves filled with tins/ boxes tried to make it like an old co-op. If you would like to see more let me know, i don't want to keep posting as everyone will not be interested. Gem

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Commo said:

Gem, don't hide your light under a bushel !  I am not a miniaturist but enjoy other folks`s talents being displayed.

Love  the fact that the Co-op is on The Green and not in Ashington!!

My other half is a basford lad so that's the reason for my co-op, a lot of my houses are also named after the area. I have Palm Villa/Snienton Lodge and Basford Hall, i really must get out more lol

Absolutely wonderful Gem. I could just sit for hours  looking at the detail. You have done a fabulously detailed job. You deserve to be so proud of your work

When my Granddaughter was small, we used to buy her the 'Sylvanian Family' animals and bought many of the buildings as well. We furnished them all down to the finest detail. Have you ever seen some of the tiny utensils and general house hold equipment in their sets. In reality much too small for young children. This grandma used to get so much enjoyment on 'Christmas Eve' putting all of the furniture in side. So very expensive to buy. As much as I loved it all, you can't beat something as special as your craft. Love it Gem. Hope you have more to share with us.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1