We had a twin tub which was kept in the bathroom, had a gas 'geyser' on the bathroom wall for hot water when we had our weekly bath. When we changed to North Sea Gas late 60's the geyser no longer worked so we used to fill the washer and boil the water, then empty it into the bath. Bit of a performance but we just took it as normal.

We had an old boiler too but I think it was electric, hefty yellow thing. I used to boil my daughter's nappies in it, I once left an orange flannalette pillow case in by mistake and the nappies came out a lovely peach shade!!

• Upvote 1

Many moons ago I put a load of whites in the washer but didn't notice a blue tshirt mixed in the wash. Result was all the clothes were now a pale shade of blue.

I tried convincing my ten year old daughter that it was alright to go to school in power blue vest & knickers & powder blue socks & powder blue blouse !

A new "in colour" I tried to explain to her but she wasn't having any of it !

That blue tshirt cost me plenty, my lad wouldn't have it either when his Forest replica kit was red shirt red socks & pale bleddy blue shorts !

• Upvote 1

#23, I was always told that to wash anything, no matter how small, on New Year's Day, would wash someone out of the family. Never dared risk it.

• Upvote 2

Ours is overflowing too. Tea towels galore after mucky visitors.

Also, every single item of everyday clothing that I'd worn up to this morning has gone in. A complete clean start to 2016.

Yes, but they're all pristine and that's just not me. LOL

I did one load of washing today ...... does that mean I'll have bad luck? Don't believe in all that! Things may go wrong sometimes but I'm sure that it's nothing to do with washing, ladders or spilling salt...... Bad things happen sometimes because we've said or done something stupid but sometimes they just happen for no apparent reason (at least that's what I think!)

• Upvote 2

Do you always put the same sock on first in the morning (presuming you don't sleep in them!!). But that's habit isn't it, not superstition. Although don't some sports people have superstitions about that?

#37 true Michael, all the superstitions I know came from my mum and the list is endless - I don't know how I've managed to live a normal life! I won't have figures or pictures of birds in the house, won't wear pearls as they bring tears, deffo won't wash on New Year's Day (or else you wash a life away), won't stir tea in the pot, won't cross knives and won't cross on the stairs to name but a few. Yet I know people who flout these everyday and disaster hasn't struck them......

• Upvote 6

Ginger Twins...... Heaven forbid! That's only in Wales or Scotland I presume.

• Upvote 2