Did any of you guys used to frequent The Crystal Palace and The Corner Pin? I'm just classing these two pubs together due to their geography because The Pin outlasted the Palace by quite a few years as I remember.

Sometimes a pianist in the Palace as I recall. I often look at those distinctive windows on the outside of that building still with a bit of Nottstalgia

In the early eighties I used to pop in The Pin with my then missus most Saturdays after The Panthers games. There was always a couple of very old ladies that used to sit in the lounge with their halves. Both ladies must have been around the eighty mark and both had been friends since school days and worked in the lace factories throughout their adult lives. They were fascinating to talk to, especially if you were interested in recent local history. God bless 'em.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friday night was SAL! Night I used to work in a salon but the person I worked for had 8 hairdressing salon's and all the girls used to go to the Sal every Friday night, there used to be about 20/24

How long ago did Steve the gay barman work at the Trip? I visited in 98 & I'm sure there was a very happy barman working behind the bar then Caz

Mary, I don't suppose you knew a friend of mine called Hilary Hughes? She used to be a hairdresser and was about your age or maybe a couple of years older. She worked in various salons in Nottingham

Funny you mention halfs, but I always grabbed a half of mild in there on my way home from work (Whilst waiting for the 7.30 pm 72 to Carlton.) in the early 80's

Funny you mention halfs, but I always grabbed a half of mild in there on my way home from work (Whilst waiting for the 7.30 pm 72 to Carlton.) in the early 80's

I don't think you had any choice in The Pin, Ian. It was a strictly halves-only pub if I remember correctly. The landlord was pretty firm and wouldn't serve you two halves either!

I thought it was weird of me to only have a half !!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally we used to meet up in there in the late 70's to start a 'Lads night out' when I was at 'the' Raleigh 'cos it was the first to open (5.30pm IMMSC)

Did any of you guys used to frequent The Crystal Palace

Ther Crystal Palace was the one we used to sneak out of the (unlicenced) disco, to.

The disco run by Roy and Mary Knight just off clumber st, later became Roses Jewellers?

I cant remember the disco's name, Someone remind me?

The year, around 1970.

Records of the time:

Love of the common people - Nikki Thomas

Neanderthal Man - Hotlegs?

To that one, everyone sat in a line behind each other, swaying backwards and forward.

Mary Knight went ape, switching the lights on and stopping the music, to get everyone up!

Hotlegs (had another hit with Tokoloshe man) later became 10cc I believe?

COLEMAN'S, that was the name of the place, Dancers in the middle of the room, seats round the outside,

Everyone walked around in a square around the outside, dropping on to seats as they became vacant?

And you tell the youngsters of today that, and they won't believe you!

.......... Tokoloshe Man was John Kongos. Hotlegs were a one hit wonder - under that name.

Well spotted that man, I stand corrected (I should have googled)

Without googling, another hit by the former 'I'm gonna step on you again'?

Tokoloshe04.jpg

http://alexodonnell.com

1971? Actually called "He's going to step on you again"

covered in trhe 90's too by ???????

I reckon the pub between Arky via Ryehill cottages to London road was the "Greyhound" there used to be like a little enclosed village of Almshouses on the left which I suppose was the nearest thing they got to "warden aided" in thosedays. They knocked down those houses and put an ugly grass hill there instead, what a waste of a lovely lot of little houses that was.

Blimey I remember the Stewt/miners welfare, I boxed there as an amateur and drank there once or twice during my misspent youth lol!

My Mum was brought up on Briar street and I still have fond memories of that part of the Medus as my Granfather and Great grandmother lived next door to each other just off Briar street, would it have been Briar Terrace? It was the top end nearest the Trent across from the corner beeroff. I remember taking a jug to the beeroff which my grandfather had filled with "Ale" and they used to give folk "tick" and mark down in a little red book what you owed so that if you were short you could survive until payday!

My Grandfather used to drink at the Cremorne Hotel and I remember going to my Dads allotment over the "Penny Bridge, it costa half penny to go across and that was the return as well if I remember rightly. There were two huge concrete blocks on that bridge and one of our Teachers at Roland Green said they were "Tank Traps" to stop German armour going across if they had invaded during WWII. Dont know if theres substance to that or not but it was a good tale to tell us kids I reckon.

I reckon the old Medus had more pubs per square mile than the rest of Nottingham put together! Oh and yes I had a beer or two in most of em at one time or another!

• 5 months later...
Did any of you guys used to frequent The Crystal Palace and The Corner Pin? I'm just classing these two pubs together due to their geography because The Pin outlasted the Palace by quite a few years as I remember.

Sometimes a pianist in the Palace as I recall. I often look at those distinctive windows on the outside of that building still with a bit of Nottstalgia

In the early eighties I used to pop in The Pin with my then missus most Saturdays after The Panthers games. There was always a couple of very old ladies that used to sit in the lounge with their halves. Both ladies must have been around the eighty mark and both had been friends since school days and worked in the lace factories throughout their adult lives. They were fascinating to talk to, especially if you were interested in recent local history. God bless 'em.

Thought you might like a photo of the pin(just appeared on picture the past NTGM015229

)

Hi Stu, I remember both of these pubs from my Nottingham days (1975-1986).The Corner Pin was a Home Ales pub during the tied-houses era.I never ever went in.The Crystal Palace I remember well - a Shippos pub and they used to have a guy on a honky-tonk piano.I think the couple who ran it were Derek and Mary.I was in there one Friday night and was chatting to Spyke Golding of CAMRA fame.He drank out of this huge glass - not sure how many pints it held.I suppose I could email Spyke at Nottingham CAMRA to ask him.When the pub closed it became a shop but the distinctive windows were protected.Somebody on here was telling me it is now an amusement arcade just like one of my other former Clumber Street haunts - The Lion.

• 2 years later...

I'm nearly four months out of date here, but has anyone said anything about the death of Spyke Golding, which I only discovered about this weekend? He seems to have been around for so long that he seemed part of the local furniture, but then to go at only 61! Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I must have missed it.

I met Spyke on only a few occations and he was a charming fellow to meet. I last saw him on a "Nottstalgia" meet up in the "Lincolnshire Poacher" around Goose fair , a couple of years back.

Martines last memory of him was ...he was on stage in a denim mini skirt, bright pink T-shirt and a blonde wig...and he was singing.....he was her kids science teacher...and this was at Alderman White School in Chilwell

I once played darts with him - one hit a wire, rebounded and lodged itself in his bare arm. Instead of immediately taking it out, he showed it round to the others in the bar.

And his jokes could be rather sexist: at a large meeting (during Bill Clinton's time), he suddenly announced he thought there should be a beer called Monica Lewinsky, with the slogan 'it goes down well'.

• 3 years later...

:D Lot of them about in those days :D Remember Quintin Crisp

B) Would it be one of these >>>>

blink.gif Cricketers rest

blink.gif Poets Corner

blink.gif The Rifleman

blink.gif The Duke of Newcastle

I remember the Rifleman well, my dad used to take me there on a Saturday on the way to the football match. My cousin and I used to stand in the skittle alley round the back, we would stack the skittles up for the chaps who were playing for money and the winners would chuck us a few coppers out of their winnings.

I don't think you had any choice in The Pin, Ian. It was a strictly halves-only pub if I remember correctly. The landlord was pretty firm and wouldn't serve you two halves either!

I often drank in the George and Dragon with my dad who came from a market trader family, he used to meet all the barrow boys in there and they all drank halfs. They were a rough and ready bunch of lads but you never saw any trouble in there when they were in.

• 1 year later...

Re # 42

I was at school with Pete 'Spyke' Golding, but he was a year ahead of me. I didn't know him well at school but I think he was a bit of a boffin. I never even thought about him for many years as I lived away from Nottingham but then he befriended me on Friends Reunited when that began. Sadly I never met him in recent years but understand he was a very well-known and respected Nottingham citizen and CAMRA member. Hope you're Resting in Peace Spyke ......

• 4 weeks later...