Now here's a topic I think we can all appreciate :o

When I lived down Kirke-White Street East, mine was the Sir Richard Arkwright, near the corner of Kirke-White Street and Arkwright Street.

I also used to drink at the pub on Kirke-White Street between Ryehill Cottages and London Road, can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Sunk a few pints in the "Stute" too.

TBI and also at the Cricket Grounds pub too.

And lets not forget the Salutation where I once took my girlfriend who was a nurse at the City Hospital, only to be refused service for my girlfriend who was 20 yrs old, because she looke younger. He'd already poured mine, so I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine and walked out!

Trip to Jeruselem Inn!! sandy beer!!

The there was that pub on Green Lane in Clifton near the traffic island.

I was going to type memories, but how many of us can remember the night before :blink:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friday night was SAL! Night I used to work in a salon but the person I worked for had 8 hairdressing salon's and all the girls used to go to the Sal every Friday night, there used to be about 20/24

How long ago did Steve the gay barman work at the Trip? I visited in 98 & I'm sure there was a very happy barman working behind the bar then Caz

Mary, I don't suppose you knew a friend of mine called Hilary Hughes? She used to be a hairdresser and was about your age or maybe a couple of years older. She worked in various salons in Nottingham

mick2me

Posted on Nov 27 2004, 06:29 PM

Talking of the Trip, Can you remember Stevie the Gay Barman?

He was a real Character. I wonder what ever happened to him? 

:D Lot of them about in those days :D Remember Quintin Crisp

I also used to drink at the pub on Kirke-White Street between Ryehill Cottages and London Road, can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

B) Would it be one of these >>>>

:blink: Cricketers rest

:blink: Poets Corner

:blink: The Rifleman

:blink: The Duke of Newcastle

How long ago did Steve the gay barman work at the Trip? I visited in 98 & I'm sure there was a very happy barman working behind the bar then :P

Caz

• Upvote 1
mick2me

Posted on Nov 27 2004, 06:29 PM

Talking of the Trip, Can you remember Stevie the Gay Barman?

He was a real Character. I wonder what ever happened to him? 

:D Lot of them about in those days :D Remember Quintin Crisp

B) Would it be one of these >>>>

:blink: Cricketers rest

:blink: Poets Corner

:blink: The Rifleman

:blink: The Duke of Newcastle

Might have been the Rifleman......Only used to drop by the pubs in town on a pub crawl, so no idea about any of the barmen or maids :ph34r:

Wasn't the pub on the corner of Kirke-White Street and London Road called the Duke of Newcastle????

I used to walk past both pubs everyday when I worked at J Jones rewinds on Daleside Road!! Picked my Daily Mirror and twenty fags up from Kens papershop opposite the school.

Now the "Stute" was another story, more coal mined there than dahn pit! I gave it up as a regular when I saw two pitmen under a table demonstrating to their relatives how a Dowty prop was set!

I did visit other Miners Institutes, some good ones, but Sunday night was always bingo night and was to be avoided at all costs!!!

Talking about the Stute, anyone remember Annie Keelings Beeroff on Briar Street corner of Bosworth Road??? She was a charactor!!

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hey John, when you came out of the Stute or the clifton Hotel on the same side of the road, it was straight into Clara 's fish shop for your supper, does anyone remember that, and her cat that always sat in the chip shop window.It was right next to the Hozene factory on Briar Street. Had many a happy hour there, say no more, dicko

Hey Chris, my drinking day's didn't start until I lived at the London Road end of the Meadows. I only went in the "Stute" because I got automatic membership being a pit worker. Never went into the Clifton Hotel

I did live in Osman Terrace, so was opposite the Hosene works and almost opposite Clara's fish and chip shop.

I even went out with a lass, Val, who lived up our terrace a few doors up from me too.

• 8 months later...

Pub on corner of KirkeWhite and London road was the Benjamin Franklin.

I believe Stevie Queen was always in a long term relationship with the pub's straight-acting piano player at the County Tavern, and nursed him through a long and serious illness, but this is as related to me. Last saw Stevie in mid eighties in the Royal Children when he asked my mate if he was being served. "No - but I don't want serving by YOU." Came the reply. "Why not?" Steve continued. "Because I don't like you." Came the reply. "How d'yer know? You've never slept with me!" Came the closer.

Shed

(Stevie the Gay Barman)

I first knew of him in the 70's, When I was at People College, he was working

at 'The Trip'. I think he had a spell at The Thurland as well.

What ever happened to him.

• 2 years later...
(Stevie the Gay Barman)

I first knew of him in the 70's, When I was at People College, he was working

at 'The Trip'. I think he had a spell at The Thurland as well.

What ever happened to him.

His name was Steve Taylor. I remember working with him behind the bar upstairs at The Salutation in the mid 70's (how could I forget!). That was before he moved on to the Trip / County Tavern / Royal Children et al.

Apologies for the long gap between postings - I've only just got here!

His name was Steve Taylor. I remember working with him behind the bar upstairs at The Salutation in the mid 70's (how could I forget!). That was before he moved on to the Trip / County Tavern / Royal Children et al.

Apologies for the long gap between postings - I've only just got here!

Not at all, thanks for bringing it to my attention, sussexred!

I would have been one of your customers in the mid-seventies Salutation as at that time I studied at Trent Poly and a gang of us came in there upstairs religiously every Thursday night.

I remember Steve very well. In fact as young whippersnapper he embarrassed me in front of my mates one evening that I recall. I was standing with this circle of friends in the bar, pint in one hand and the other on my hip. Steve came up behind me, grabbed my arm and said "don't stand like that dear - that's how I started!"

I have to say it was very funny!

I recall too how us young lads would always get his attentions at the bar. After Steve had served you he would often stroke your hand when he gave you your change back!

One time I was in the lounge at the Royal Children when Steve was serving. My then girlfriend failed to see the joke with Steve that particular night and had a word or two with him. He was unmerciful with her after that, (she deserved it mind).

The last times I used to see Steve was in the Old Dog and Partridge with his friend the piano player. His name was Graham by the way. That would have been the late eighties. I often used to have a chat with him. Underneath all the brashness and campery he was a really nice guy, so was his mate.

I've often wondered what happened to him. I hope he's alright if he's still around.

Not at all, thanks for bringing it to my attention, sussexred!

I would have been one of your customers in the mid-seventies Salutation as at that time I studied at Trent Poly and a gang of us came in there upstairs religiously every Thursday night.

Underneath all the brashness and campery he was a really nice guy, so was his mate.

I've often wondered what happened to him. I hope he's alright if he's still around.

He was indeed a great guy - hope he's ok.

Do you remember his Shirley Bassey impression when Big Spender came on the juke box?

He was indeed a great guy - hope he's ok.

Do you remember his Shirley Bassey impression when Big Spender came on the juke box?

How could anyone forget that! I can still see him now. He was great fun, Steve and he never took himself too seriously. It used to amuse me in he'd always pick on the ones that were a bit 'indifferent' towards his campness.

It always seemed to me that Steve served in around 50% of pubs I'd ever been in Nottingham city centre. Apart from The Trip, Sal and The dog, I'm sure there were a few others as well?

A local landmark was Steve. Where are these characters nowadays?

How could anyone forget that! I can still see him now. He was great fun, Steve and he never took himself too seriously. It used to amuse me in he'd always pick on the ones that were a bit 'indifferent' towards his campness.

It always seemed to me that Steve served in around 50% of pubs I'd ever been in Nottingham city centre. Apart from The Trip, Sal and The dog, I'm sure there were a few others as well?

A local landmark was Steve. Where are these characters nowadays?

I dont believe it! I also knew Steve through my working on Radio Trent, and Steve working at both The Royal Children, and The Sal!

I was in the Sal with Dale (Winton) sitting just opposite the bar, and a punter asked Steve what the mince (a dish on the menu!) was like, he camply turned to Dale, and shouted "Dolly, show this man what the mince is like!" For straight folk not understanding what he meant, ask someone else, not me!!!!

Also, re The Sal, anyone remember Barry Bloom running it? he was the older brother of a school chum back in the day, Rita Bloom, and they lived on Northgate new Basford in the 60's

I dont believe it! I also knew Steve through my working on Radio Trent, and Steve working at both The Royal Children, and The Sal!

I was in the Sal with Dale (Winton) sitting just opposite the bar, and a punter asked Steve what the mince (a dish on the menu!) was like, he camply turned to Dale, and shouted "Dolly, show this man what the mince is like!" For straight folk not understanding what he meant, ask someone else, not me!!!!

Also, re The Sal, anyone remember Barry Bloom running it? he was the older brother of a school chum back in the day, Rita Bloom, and they lived on Northgate new Basford in the 60's

Great story and a great character, Craig! Happy day eh!

I well remember big Baz (and his missus Floss) I worked with him at The Arriba and The mardi Gras,mid 80's then he left to take over at the 'Sal'

Tell you some stories about him too Stu if ya wanna know (PM only though)

Sorry just reread it and realised it was Craig that posted about him (But the same rules apply)

Tell you some stories about him too Stu if ya wanna know (PM only though)

Sorry just reread it and realised it was Craig that posted about him (But the same rules apply)

Go on then, pm me....i think maybe i know at least one of them!