• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friday night was SAL! Night I used to work in a salon but the person I worked for had 8 hairdressing salon's and all the girls used to go to the Sal every Friday night, there used to be about 20/24

How long ago did Steve the gay barman work at the Trip? I visited in 98 & I'm sure there was a very happy barman working behind the bar then Caz

Mary, I don't suppose you knew a friend of mine called Hilary Hughes? She used to be a hairdresser and was about your age or maybe a couple of years older. She worked in various salons in Nottingham

Sir Sam Fay was the last general manager of the Great Central Railway. The GCR had a loco named after him - but not that one in the picture!

Friday night was SAL! Night

I used to work in a salon but the person I worked for had 8 hairdressing salon's and all the girls used to go to the Sal every Friday night,

there used to be about 20/24 girls sitting up stairs in the half moon seats, what a time we had chatting up the chaps I suppose you could say leading them on, but no harm done it would just be nice to go back in time. Just for a Friday night.

• Upvote 4

Mary, I don't suppose you knew a friend of mine called Hilary Hughes? She used to be a hairdresser and was about your age or maybe a couple of years older. She worked in various salons in Nottingham - the only one I remember was on Mansfield Road 'Maison .......something or other'. Her mother used to have a cafe near Mount Street bus station I think - Hilary used to work there occasionally. I remember I went with her to the Sal a couple of times. She had a bad car accident when she was in her late teens and this caused quite a lot of damage to her face but she bounced back. She was supposed to be one of my bridesmaids but was unable to because she became pregnant and the dress wouldn't fit her!!

• Upvote 1

Hi MargieH

The salon on Mansfield Road was Maison Fields when I was working but it's had quite a lot of names. I can't recall any one named Hilary but maybe she might remember me as I used to pal around with the apprentice who worked at Masion Fields, she lived at Burton Joyce. Each week I used to go to the youth club at Burton Joyce with her, but I can't remember her name. Sorry!!!! At the time I worked with her sister at a salon on Alfreton Rd called "Barbara Chapmans"

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replying, Mary. I haven't seen Hilary since 1979 after she'd moved to live in Skegness! I wish I knew where she was now as I'd love to catch up....

• 1 month later...

I have just been reading some of the older threads and posts and discovered that the Cricketers has been demolished! I remember that a Berni Inn where a boyfriend used to take me when I was 16. Berni Inns disappeared years ago and I thought they would have become Beefeaters or the like. On one thread I read that there were caves under the Cricketers so I learned something else. Interesting stuff!

A fascinating old pub was The Artichoke on Pepper Street,a long lost one obviously.

Artichoke?

I can only find Harley's Vaults as being on Pepper Street..

I can find no record (in living memory of back to 1932) of a Artichoke public house in Nottingham.

However there is a gap in my directories between 1950 - 67

Pepper street disappeared 1959 -60 when Marls & Spencer was extended..

In 1950 there were 360 + public houses in the city of Nottingham this does not include hotels that had a bar (public or residents only)eg The Black Boy.

Information Kelly's directory of Nottingham & West Bridgford 1950

• 5 years later...