Hi PJ.

I can remember Spanish Gold just as you described, When you had chewed all the sweet coating off it you were left with shredded white coconut, tasted nice though!

Can you remember those pink round bubbly gums that lost their taste after a few minutes, boy did they make my teeth ache, and Beechnut chewing gum with sugar coating (spearmint flavour) God I did put some muck in me mouth.

Cheers

Rog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this what you mean, EileenH and crankypig?

One of my twin daughters spent a few months back in the old country, couple of years ago, and came back to Oz with an English lolly addiction ! She regularly seeks out the lolly shops specializing in

what about black jacks and flying saucers The black jacks were 4 for a penny i think and flying saucers wher made of rice pare and me3lted in your mouth ( well my mouth really) we can still buy both

I remember all of those, Dodie. The satin cushions I nearly choked on one night in bed! For some reason, the cherry lips remind me of the toy sweetshop I got one Christmas. Jap Desserts were cubes, in pink yellow and brown if I remember rightly. I love pontefract cakes, my ma in law still sends me those. Was Palm Toffee the one that came in trays with a hammer to bash it to pieces? Who remembers Smith's crisps with the blue packet of salt in each bag?

Same again I remember all of those. I also remember feeling very grown up chuffing on a licorice pipe..............yuk it would make me sick now.

My dad used to bring home Frys chocolate cream fruit & Peppermint & i always got the bloody peppermint,until we decided it was a good idea to break it into segments & share mmmmmm :rolleyes:

Hi pj, I can't remember either of those, the only coconut sweets I remember were coconut mushrooms. Do you remember Horlicks tablets, came in a roll, and Victory V in the winter.
Hi katy

Did the horlicks sweets come in a tube about half the size of a pack of polos? if they're the ones i'm thinking of, they used to go all warm and slimey when ya sucked 'em for a bit...!

They were nice though.

Hi PJ.

I can remember Spanish Gold just as you described, When you had chewed all the sweet coating off it you were left with shredded white coconut, tasted nice though!

Can you remember those pink round bubbly gums that lost their taste after a few minutes, boy did they make my teeth ache, and Beechnut chewing gum with sugar coating (spearmint flavour) God I did put some muck in me mouth.

Cheers

Rog

Aye up rog,

The bubble gum you're on about, i think was just called 'bubbly'? blue sweet wrapper, red writing yellow back ground.

They were lovely but you're right mate, taste-wise they were 'gone in 60 seconds'.

Beechnut chewy was nice by the way.

Some more tuffies i can remember whilst i'm having a flash-back...!!! (and who said e-numbers are bad for your memory?)

#Bazooka bubbly gum (in the long wrapper with a mini comic inside)

#Sherbert pips

#Milk teeth

#Sugar shrimps (the size of tiger prawns)

#Fish & chips (crisps)

#Tutti frutties

#Rainbow kali (in a see-thru straw)

#Mojos

#Toffos

#Screwball (ice cream in a plaggy cone with a bubbly in the bottom)

#Monkey nuts (teeth-shattering toffee)

Question: were curly wurly's a linear metre back then, or did i have increadibly small hands as a kid?

Yes, pj, Horlicks tablets were in a small tube. I couldn't stand Horlicks as a kid, but I'd love to get me hands on a tube of them now. I was at school with a girl, in the infants, who always had Horlicks tablets with her. [where are you, Iris Brown?]

All this reminiscing over the amount of sugar we use to chuck down our necks when young explains why all my back teeth are now full of mercury magnum !sickly! and may explain why I have to take so much medication for me head pains..... flyswat

I know what you mean Den, same here, plus three crowns. Refined sugar is not good for us, just wished our Mothers had known that years ago, then maybe we would now have a full head of healthy teeth and no mercury in our systems.

In the late 60's or early 70's there were a couple of bars I remember. One was an Aztec bar, the other a Swisskit. The latter had some daredevil doing all sorts of stunts, and at the end he'd say 'I'll risk it, for a Swisskit' I did like the Aztec bar, but it disappeared, like a lot of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember Star bars?? they were a fudgy, peanutty & chocolatey,absolutely yummy.

Acid drops!

spangles. Ice breaker bar. Jubbly's - those big triangular suckers.(not a dudoo, really, but I used to like them) Lucky bags. chocolate limes from the corner shop.

mmmm... ice breaker, wasn't that the choclate that had glassy, minty bits in it...?

I remember lung healers, orange coloured boiled sweets, tasted like Strepsils.

You can still buy them by the way...."didn't you know!

Ayup Katyjay,

For what it's worth I've just scoffed a bag full of Cadbury's mini eggs to myself and now I feel ill. Never learn even after 50 years since I first got the taste for the stuff.

Rog

• 2 months later...

Sweet Baccy still tastes the same. Not sure about Caramac. Wot about Rhubarb & Custard?

If you want some of these old sweets, check out www.sweetshopdirect.co.uk. It's Notts - Southwell - and they deliver all over the world.

Loads of the sweets their are made in Nottingham - Barnetts.

Hello, Welcome

Didnt Barnetts used to be on Hartley Road?

I used to work there (I am not to blame this time as they had already gone bust when I started) in a poor attempt to resurect themselves I was employed as a sales rep!!! .We used to make Lun Jeelers, Barnips( a bit like fishermans freinds ) and all sorts of boilings including chocolate limes (incidently my mum and dad met over a bag of Barnets chocolate limes but thats another story) the factory was on Cobden street just off Ilkeston road near the junction of Radford boulevarde

;)